Identify my carburetor

Here you can post pictures of those unidentified parts so others in the know can help.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

OriginalBlue
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Identify my carburetor

Post by OriginalBlue »

Hey I'm new here, but I think this is the correct board.

I have what claims to be either a 64.5 or a 67 Datsun 1600. Unfortunately all of the parts are turning out to be a ratrod amalgamation.

Could anyone help identify this carburetor? (I wasnt seeing any markings in spots others had mentioned.)

I want to know what I have before pulling it and either cleaning, rebuilding or replacing. The car fired up last night for the first time in 6 years but shut off after a few seconds. (Am guessing it was just running off the starter spray I blasted down the top.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Identify my carburetor

Post by Gregs672000 »

First, welcome! We're here to help and support all our members... tons of info and experience!

Second, we can tell you the engine is definitely not Roadster... is it a Nissan engine?

Third, I see you contacted Tim for parts... he's requesting a PM (personal) message... click on his name and it will open a PM for you to converse directly.

More info required!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

Might be a Hitachi, need more and close up pictures.
Dave
OriginalBlue
Roadster Newby

Post by OriginalBlue »

Any suggestions on what angles to photograph for better reference?

Someone posted that there might be a number in picrel, but I did not see anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OriginalBlue
Roadster Newby

Post by OriginalBlue »

This is where I would expect to see that stamp if it existed.

Apologies for doubleposting.
OriginalBlue
Roadster Newby

Post by OriginalBlue »

Gregs672000 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:41 pm First, welcome! We're here to help and support all our members... tons of info and experience!

Second, we can tell you the engine is definitely not Roadster... is it a Nissan engine?

Third, I see you contacted Tim for parts... he's requesting a PM (personal) message... click on his name and it will open a PM for you to converse directly.
Thanks Greg, I'll reach out to Tim directly as you suggest.

The valve cover, when purchasing the gasket, implied it was a 1200 motor. Thats the only one that fit and looked correct. Again, im discovering all of this as I go and do not trust the DMV metal stamp at all. Looked on the lower passenger side and did not see anything there as suggested elsewhere. (I even bought a little led wire camera for easier investigation)

Unfortunately the car is not on the same end of the state as me, so I have to reach out to my friends with specific asks of them. Otherwise I can only share what I have captured on my phone.
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

Looks like you have an “A series” engine in your car. With an automatic transmission to boot.
Dave
OriginalBlue
Roadster Newby

Post by OriginalBlue »

Yes, it is an automatic, which I appreciated fully when I used it as a daily driver years ago.

This is a great lead on the engine investigation.

Thank you!
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

That's the 210 A15 or A14 by the vc , yes a Hitachi great carb really you can remove a check ball that slows the secondary plate opening , for more power ,it's at least a Datsun good luck with a rebuild kit though
210s last yr 81 ....83 became Nissan
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
OriginalBlue
Roadster Newby

Post by OriginalBlue »

Thanks for the guidance. It helped me focus my search yet again.

Spent some time this last trip looking in greater detail and wiping down the outer surface. Was super reluctant due to possibly removing the ink stamp, but I do see what I think was the actual details in this one. Not legible aside from a couple semi recognizable letters, but searching online for Hitachi carb replacements and rebuild kits don't seem to align with details like the offset circle fuel window. Would love to see if theres a catalog of model types etc.