General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Frank69
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Shifter Boot and Trim Ring for Console Delete

Post by Frank69 »

Hi All. I've seen photos online of roadsters with the console removed and a simple rubber shift boot/trim ring on the top of the tunnel. I like this look, but would also like to eliminate the stock radio/controls piece (in my '68 2000). I can have a friend make a flat aluminum piece to replace it under the dash, housing three gauges and the controls. I think this would make the interior more sporty/racy looking. My questions are: What trim ring and rubber boot would work well? I've have a few in my shop from past muscle car and hot rod projects, but they are all made for vehicles with a wider tranny tunnel. Any boots/rings for MG or other period sports car that will work? The boot and ring for a 68-80 MGB looks close, but the ones available look like junk. Also, is anyone making a pre-cut/formed metal piece that would replace the radio/controls panel? My friend will fabricate one, but it would be much simpler if someone was already producing that piece. I have found nothing online yet.

Thanks for any thoughts/input.
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Shifter Boot and Trim Ring for Console Delete

Post by FergO2k »

I use the stock "sombrero" piece on tunnel to keep heat out, then have a mid 80's Z-Car "tapered accordion" kinda bellows boot coming up from there.
Never went to a trim ring, but that sounds like it would dress it up.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA