Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

praugust12
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Headlights and taillights not working

Post by praugust12 »

Hello! My name is Patrick. I have been restoring a 1967 1600 roadster and have come across an issue. When I hooked up the wiring, I have brake lights working, turn signals working, but no headlights or taillights. I checked the ground through the headlight connector and the ground is fine, and I checked the power wire at the connector and it’s only reading about .06 volts with some variation. My first thought was that it could be the relay, but before going out and buying I just wanted to post on here for some possible answers/diag ideas. Thanks!!
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Re: Headlights and taillights not working

Post by Habitat.pat »

Hey, Patrick, I can help you with your electrical problems.

First, a little more info would be nice.
Have they ever worked? If so, did they get intermittent or just die?
Was any other work done on the car when they quit, especially under the dash?

First, check for voltage on the 30a fuse. It will have 2 white wires on one end. Check the voltage on the screw on the opposite end where the red wire is connected. Be sure to measure on the screw or wire because there could be a bad connection between the fuse & terminal.

If there is voltage on the terminal, turn on your headlight switch & check for 12v on the red/yellow wire on the headlight relay. I suspect there won’t be any. The only thing between those 2 points is the headlight switch & wires. My guess I’ll is a bad switch.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

I just reread your posting. If you pulled the wires off the headlight switch, you may have gotten them back on the wrong pins. Use the schematic on this site. It shows where there should be continuity through the switch in each position.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
praugust12
Roadster Newby

Post by praugust12 »

Hey Pat! Thanks for the reply. When I first wired the car up, I wasn’t getting any lights. That’s when I cleaned the fuse and the connectors, terminals at the fuse box. Once I did that, I got the turn signals and brake lights to work, as well as interior dash lights, but still no headlights. And the voltage at the fuse and fuse box terminals tested well. Also, I never tested the switch, I tested where you plug in the headlight. The ground wire at the headlight connector tested well, but the power wire at that connector was only testing .06 volts and would fluctuate down to .02. That’s where I am currently at. Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks, Patrick
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

Tech line always asks if your checking at the terminals ,they demand you pirce the wire to test. wires seldom fail, its at a connection
Run a jumper from neg to the bulb neg terminal to see if it lites normally , then if so ,back check on neg side ....that's power side
Last edited by redroadster on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »