Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

s15to311
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Steering Box Question

Post by s15to311 »

Ok, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance here as I have no idea how a steering box or idler works.

My steering feels very notchy when you turn the wheel, loaded or unloaded. I'm assuming it has something to do with the steering box, but really have no idea how to fix it. I do have a spare one, although I'm not sure of the condition.

Any input? Anything to look out for or best way to service the box and or idler?

Thanks for the help!
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Steering Box Question

Post by Nissanman »

Notchy doesn't sound good, but....
There is an adjuster on the steering box designed to remove excess backlash as experienced from the steering wheel.
Worm and peg steering box.JPG
Parts 13 & 14 above.
Don't over tighten it or you will cause the box to bind.

The idler is a different cup of meat.
No adjustment, just a huge threaded shaft which relies heavily on nice clean lubricant to function properly, as does the steering box.
Steering linkage and idler.JPG
You should have a close inspection of all the ball joints in the linkage to determine if they are well lubed and not dry and "notchy".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

If you have the earlier box, there is a drain plug on the drivers side and a fill plug on top, later ones have only a fill. Make sure it is full of gear oil. If you have the drain, you can change it. It doesn't hold much.
all the rest require grease. I would use a good synthetic. On the idler, if the grease seems to pump easilly out of the top cap, get some help remove the rubber cap and try to hold a rag tightly over the top of the idler so the grease gets forced down. It is a semi=futile attempt, but helps. You can move the steering left and right, you might have more luck.

sometimes just proper lubrication makes a world of difference.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
s15to311
Roadster Fanatic

Post by s15to311 »

dbrick wrote:If you have the earlier box, there is a drain plug on the drivers side and a fill plug on top, later ones have only a fill. Make sure it is full of gear oil. If you have the drain, you can change it. It doesn't hold much.
all the rest require grease. I would use a good synthetic. On the idler, if the grease seems to pump easilly out of the top cap, get some help remove the rubber cap and try to hold a rag tightly over the top of the idler so the grease gets forced down. It is a semi=futile attempt, but helps. You can move the steering left and right, you might have more luck.

sometimes just proper lubrication makes a world of difference.
Yes it is an early ('66) box. Actually both of the ones I have are. I will drain it and fill it up with gear oil (I assume 80w 90 will be fine?). Any specific type of grease (wheel bearing grease would work?)

Thanks for the input guys!

EDIT: Also, any specific grease I should use for the ball joints (synthetic, but there seems to be an array of options out there).
Nissanman

Post by Nissanman »

For the steering box, the manual specifies "Gear oil MP#90 [Hypoid Gear Oil] 0.25L capacity.
For the idler and ball joints I would suggest Castrol LMM, for automotive ball joints and CV joints.
I think the guy who rebuilt my steering, dosed the box with a soup of grease and oil.
He said it couldn't hurt.
On the road again!
Stick
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Stick »

Trying not to start another thread on steering box, so hoping this one will suit....

My 1969 2000 appears to have an "Old style" box with a drain plug on the side (pic attached). I don't have the correct tool to remove the fill plug ... or what I am assuming is the fill plug .... the Torx looking bolt on the top? The largest TORX I have is a T50 and it's way too small. Anyone know what the correct tool is to remove this?

Also, is the screw in the middle to the left that is captured by the nut the adjuster for the box?
IMG_1144.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg McCarty
1969 SRL311 07324
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Yes that's the adjuster. The boxes tend to wear most on center and a little off from that of course, so tightening must be done carefully to make sure it does not bind elsewhere where it is less worn. As I recall, I've removed the torx plug using a wide flat screwdriver or a pair of channel locks. John Deere Corn head grease is the preferred lube over oil, and there are a few similar greases that have been identified and less expensive (I still need to do this...).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Stick
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Stick »

Yeah - I thought about the screwdriver, but none of my large screwdrivers would bite and I didn't want to screw up the threads. Not much sticking out to grab with a set of channel locks and if I tried, I would have to remove the box to get at it.

ASo much for hoping that a quick drain and fill would be simple!
Greg McCarty
1969 SRL311 07324
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by david premo »

You know how you can use a 1/2 inch drive extension for the transmission and differential drain plug removal. Use a 3/8’s extension to remove the fill plug.
Stick
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Stick »

Thanks David ... tried that as well (and a 10MM key) and it didn't work ... still turned inside and wouldn't grab. I think I have some triple square's as well that I might try.

Any idea of the originally intended tool?

Edit - I was wrong ... just ran out in the garage and tried again and the 3/8 extension fit just like you said! It turned without ANY resistance at all I thought it was just slipping, but it was actually turning. Came right out. I was surprised it was plastic.... Didn't look like that with all of the grime on it.

Thanks!
Greg McCarty
1969 SRL311 07324
Nissanman

Post by Nissanman »

Might be a golden opportunity to fit a replacement with an external hex head :idea:
On the road again!
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by david premo »

The plastic plugs work fine, I would recommend leaving it as is as the never rust and seize. Second Greg is correct that the box wears most in the center as you spend the the majority of time driving straight and therefore you’re wearing it more in the center. In order to fix this problem you have two options. One would be to rebuild the existing steering box with new parts to eliminate any play.

The second option would be to raise the front wheels and the set nut and tighten the screw. Then check the steering by going lock to lock for binding. If is not binding then try and tighten it a LITTLE MORE CAREFULLY, as you do not want to break the steering box. The next step is to drive the car for several thousands of miles and turn the steering wheel lock to lock as often as possible. Then repeat the process if necessary. Be sure that you have it full of a good quality gear oil and do not rush this process. Good luck with it, it will work if you don’t get greedy with the adjustments.
Dave
Stick
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Stick »

Thank you sir ... got it all drained and refilled today
Greg McCarty
1969 SRL311 07324