Do not use KnN oil filter

Discussion for product reviews! Coming sooner or later.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Do not use KnN oil filter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I have a fellow member coming up to see how I did the EFI on Sunday, so I thought today would be a good day to change the break-in oil out (went 800 miles, everything is good/seated). Thought I had a filter but didn't, and the only thing available locally was a KnN HF2009, shown as fitting a 2000 per the website. Should be good, right? Measured it carefully to make sure it would fit over the oil tube as it was a little bit shorter than the Hastings I had used previously, and it seemed to seat down just fine... I literally checked several times including the depth the tube would reach within the filter.

So, fire it up and wait for the valve train to stop clacking... but it doesn't, and neither does the oil pressure rise :shock: . Shut it off and find its dumping quarts of oil on my garage floor and the filter has literally popped off the mount. Several words not suited for sensitive ears were uttered, repeatedly. I had to push the car out of the garage to clean up the mess, and fortunately I had kept my previous filter and spun that back on as I could not push the car up the driveway by myself and had no choice but to fire it up with the old filter on it... grrrrrr.

So, bottom line, stay away from KnN HF2009 unless you like playing environmental clean up. :evil: I don't.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Do not use KnN oil filter

Post by Bwk2000 »

That must have been one heck of a mess. I love working on classic cars … I need to keep telling myself that.

FYI: For stock applications, K&N Oil Filter #HP-2005 works well (I’ve been using them for years). Good pressure and flow.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
spyder
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

I use a Ford FL-1a
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

I remember using a K&N once as the other brands were out of my #
and it leaked ,I found the gasket was hard and brittle in one place ,so I used the old gasket
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I refilled the engine yesterday... took 3 quarts... seems that the oil pump works quite well.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA