Driveshaft removal tools tip?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Driveshaft removal tools tip?

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ok, so if I'm understanding this, the four differential bolts are out but the drive shaft has not moved and is still connected at the front and rear?

Suggestion 1) Rubber mallet the diff end a bit... it's probably rusted stuck, and the splined front end may not have been greased in a long time so it may not want to move as easy as it should, but the shaft itself should drop off the diff end, allowing you to simply pull the drive shaft off the transmission yolk.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
mschel
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mschel »

That was it. So much easier with the driveshaft split into two now!

I was thinking oh I have to pull both ends since it wasn't moving at all or compressing. Now I see where the splines got locked up.

Just about ready to pull motor. Just a Speedo cable and the oil gauge linw I believe left

Thanks for all the tips. Will hold onto the crowfoot set I ordered just in case.

quote=Gregs672000 post_id=343920 time=1696472084 user_id=2222]
Ok, so if I'm understanding this, the four differential bolts are out but the drive shaft has not moved and is still connected at the front and rear?

Suggestion 1) Rubber mallet the diff end a bit... it's probably rusted stuck, and the splined front end may not have been greased in a long time so it may not want to move as easy as it should, but the shaft itself should drop off the diff end, allowing you to simply pull the drive shaft off the transmission yolk.
[/quote]
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Good work... always a learning curve on everything, even stuff one is familiar with. Every time I do brakes on a car new to me I think "I'll be able to do this in half the time next time!" No worries asking questions here... we don't flame people, we help our family members!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

Exactly. There are a lot of differences in these Datsuns vs what I am used to working on in past.

Thanks.
Gregs672000 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:17 am Good work... always a learning curve on everything, even stuff one is familiar with. Every time I do brakes on a car new to me I think "I'll be able to do this in half the time next time!" No worries asking questions here... we don't flame people, we help our family members!
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I think over time you will find them to be pretty logical and well put together. In your free time I would suggest a scan/read through of the factory manual that's available in the wiki. In addition, there's a lot of documentation that people have added over the years regarding repairs, swaps, options, etc. I don't know what your experience has been with other car sites, but this is a family here ready to help as much or as little as you like. We want you to be successful and to enjoy the ride as much as we do!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

Thanks, I have skimmed some of the wiki and there is a ton of info there. My experience has been great so far.

Gregs672000 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:08 pm I think over time you will find them to be pretty logical and well put together. In your free time I would suggest a scan/read through of the factory manual that's available in the wiki. In addition, there's a lot of documentation that people have added over the years regarding repairs, swaps, options, etc. I don't know what your experience has been with other car sites, but this is a family here ready to help as much or as little as you like. We want you to be successful and to enjoy the ride as much as we do!