Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mschel
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Parrish Plastics Hardtop Weatherstrip

Post by mschel »

Hi, I finally got a parrish plastics hardtop or I believe that's what it is.

The seals did come with it and a custom cut plexiglass rear window as well. The rear window and weatherstrip are not installed.

I am wondering on a few things:

Does anyone have a definitive source for the rubber seals? Mainly the rear window for now but ideally all of them?

This posting on another forum for MG seems to show a possible correct rear window but not sure on the rest.

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt- ... 2.4234018/

https://www.mgexp.com/phile/1/624563/MG ... _Seals.pdf
a91f9a94672823014946a9510b3e[1].jpg

Other question, it has vinyl covering that looks similar to soft top material that has some marks that might need fixed vs just a good cleaning. What type of vinyl is commonly used for the tops? Would it make sense to just strip the vinyl and put something else on it or paint?

Here is the top (not on my car)
351181906_6069395126520120_736651380760106118_n.jpg
I see a thread and info in the wiki but not sure if all hardtops are the same or not
viewtopic.php?t=18187&start=15

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... atherstrip

I am not in a super rush since I have a top on it, just don't really like the one that came with the car (porthole hardtop)

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mschel on Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhayden
Site Supporter

Re: Parrish Plastics Hardtop Gaskets

Post by jhayden »

Just to confirm that you do, indeed, have a genuine Parrish there (uses the same three oem clips for the front bow plus turnbuckles at both rear sides) and not a Smoothline (uses only two J-hooks at the front bow).

When your resto is completed the top will weigh only around 25 lbs., less than half that of your porthole top (yeah, I have one of those, too), making life far easier for the paint on your rear deck. Seals better, too, b/c it's more flexible and can conform to the curvature.

The Parrish tops came in a buyer's choice of painted, unpainted, or vinyl covered. That covering has been on your top since Ronald Reagan's first term, so you're likely better served by recovering it rather than trying to strip, sand to a smooth finish and paint.

Wish I could help you with your questions on sources for weatherstripping. Ten years ago Smoothline was of no help with replacement:

viewtopic.php?p=156033&hilit=parrish+mahalo#p156033

You are doing great research so far (and wisely taking your time about it), so please keep everyone here posted on your progress.

Jon
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

Hi, it does have the claw type clips on the front and two rear turnbuckles. I was surprised how light it was too. I don't have a soft top on mine so I can envision just popping it off pretty easily once mine is back on the road (going to be a bit).

I am going to take more measurements but if its close will try the version noted on the mg site (steele rubber).

Thanks for the other info.
jhayden wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:44 pm Just to confirm that you do, indeed, have a genuine Parrish there (uses the same three oem clips for the front bow plus turnbuckles at both rear sides) and not a Smoothline (uses only two J-hooks at the front bow).

When your resto is completed the top will weigh only around 25 lbs., less than half that of your porthole top (yeah, I have one of those, too), making life far easier for the paint on your rear deck. Seals better, too, b/c it's more flexible and can conform to the curvature.

The Parrish tops came in a buyer's choice of painted, unpainted, or vinyl covered. That covering has been on your top since Ronald Reagan's first term, so you're likely better served by recovering it rather than trying to strip, sand to a smooth finish and paint.

Wish I could help you with your questions on sources for weatherstripping. Ten years ago Smoothline was of no help with replacement:

viewtopic.php?p=156033&hilit=parrish+mahalo#p156033

You are doing great research so far (and wisely taking your time about it), so please keep everyone here posted on your progress.

Jon
mschel
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mschel »

So I got the top mocked up on the car. It is not bolted down yet but I am guessing the back area just needs the usual hard top weatherstrip vs additional hardware? It seems really flimsy but maybe the rubber makes it stiffer once bolted/clasped down?

It has the 3 hooks and the back 2x tie bars.
2023-09-22 18.42.47.jpg
2023-09-22 18.42.55.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.