General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Frank69
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

EI Distributors Available “Soon-ish”

Post by Frank69 »

EI distributor from East Coast Roadster vs the one from Datsun Restoration Products? Any input or experience you guys can share? I need one soon, but can’t send my core in yet because I have to move the car around over the next few weeks. Thoughts?
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Re: EI Distributors Available “Soon-ish”

Post by JT68 »

We have several options. You would not have to send a core first.

You could also check with Jacques here on the forum. He was looking to sell an east coast unit to upgrade to a 123.

Not sure if that is still the plan, but you can check.

Cheers,
Jt
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
ARowe84
Roadster Nut

Post by ARowe84 »

I ordered EI from East Coast Roadsters and after a couple months it failed, car would not start at all. East Coast Roadsters said it was unusual for this to happen and they replaced it quickly without hassle. It’s worked flawlessly since. Anything mechanical can and will break so I don’t hold that against them. Was happy with the quick support and happy with the EI. -Andy
1969 1600
Santa Rosa, Ca.
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by DAC21 »

From posts from the past on the EI Distributors I understand the "cigarette" packs can go bad. Is there a P/N on an extra to toss into the Glove Box?
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

I bought a 123 distributor from Datsun Restoration Products mainly because I wanted to have a soft rev limiter for autocross’s. It’s a little pricier than the East Coast product, but you are getting a completely new unit with adjustable curves, adjustable rev limiter, and an anti theft device. To be honest though, I was perfectly happy with my conventional points distributor other than a lack of a rev limiter. I have no experience with the East Coast unit but hear they work well. All depends upon your desires.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Frank69
Roadster Newby

Post by Frank69 »

I ended up with the basic EI distributor from Datsun Restoration Products. I installed it yesterday and drove it for the first time today. I also used their alternator relocation kit, installing a new Denso alternator on the passenger side. So far, so good. It runs great, starts quickly and idles well. It’s idling a little high vs. before installation (1000rpm vs 900rpm), so I may check the timing again. Not pinging at all.
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

FYI whenever you advance the distributor the idle speeds up. Just turn the idle speed screw down, ie back it out until you have the idle speed you want.
Dave
RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by RBMann »

DAC21 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:02 pm From posts from the past on the EI Distributors I understand the "cigarette" packs can go bad. Is there a P/N on an extra to toss into the Glove Box?
The EI came with our roadster so I don't know its supplier. Both the 'cigarette' and the magnetic pickup have failed. Both were replaced with stock 80s era Datsun B210 parts. So it appears mine is just a B210 distributor. I bought aftermarket 'cigarette' box and Mag. pickup from a local supple house and both were DOA so I ended up with OEM units.
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)