2L fan clutch delete, installed wrong?

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

2L fan clutch delete, installed wrong?

Post by FergO2k »

I was in doing a clutch job (finally) And was doing a few While-I-Am-There projects, including the fan clutch delete spacer.
Call me stubborn, but my 7 blade fan has worked fine for 22 years andcooled thru numerous driving events, so I am sticking with what works.

So my stupid question:
I put on spacer then fan blade, and the 4 bolts thru both, she fired up fine (Yay!) But the fan is stopped.
Not hitting anything, and pulleys are turning. WTH?
The only thing I notice is the fan looks more inset/recessed to the shroud... like 1 inch from aft surface of fan blade to aft surface of shroud.

I did something dumb...

The fan clutch is a mechanism plate and a thin steel shim plate with 4 holes only, is it supposed to be included?

Notes:
69 2000, so had an air pump at one time, so has dual pulleys but the front one is no longer in use.
Moved the alt to passenger side, running the GM alternator. (Which is spinning)
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: 2L fan clutch delete, installed wrong?

Post by theunz »

The spacer I used completely eliminated the entire clutch assembly, that’s the whole idea. With the clutch removed you should still be using the same pulley groove. Looks like you need to sacrifice a little more skin off your nuckles😱
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: 2L fan clutch delete, installed wrong?

Post by FergO2k »

Yep, I sent a pic out and i was clarified.
I didn't realize the clutch unit ring was separable from the pulley, it looked like a press fit unit, so since the 4 bolts went in I thought I was doing it right.
Oh well, like you said, Remove and Re-Assemble is only a little knuckle abuse and managing the coolant drain without making a mess.
Thanks for the help!
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA