What is this?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nking79

What is this?

Post by nking79 »

What is this small hose between the oil filter and fuel pump? What does it connect to?
Russell Roach

Post by Russell Roach »

looks like to me thats where the oil pressure sensor should go it looks like someone changed your oil pressure guage to a mechanical guage and thats where they attached the tube to run to the guage.

Russell
It's a D-A-T-S-U-N
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by It's a D-A-T-S-U-N »

Oil line to the Mechanical Oil Pressure Guage :?
1968 SPL311
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2002 Honda S2000
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

The early engine uses an electric gauge. The late uses a mechanical. That's the hose for the mechanical gauge.

keith
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Nat, pull back the "spring" around the hose and check the condition of the rubber. If it looks cracked or deteriorated, replace the hose ASAP. If it breaks, all of the engine oil pumps out very fast, then bad expensive things happen. :( .

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

A while back I had a couple of those hoses rebuilt. I currently have one core. If I can round up another one or two I'll have another batch done(hint, hint). Rounded up some black hose to cover the stainless braid on the new hose. That way the original look can be retained. Also, I've got a couple of the distributor flex hoses that I will see about having done at the same time. The cost ends up being about half of the OEM part price.

keith "roadster ranch carb and misc. stuff guy" williams
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Oh yeah! Now that all my stuff is unpacked (well, still in boxes, but in the house now) I can find mine and send it to you. Thanks for reminding me Keith!
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Keith, what about black heat shrink and put the spring back on over the shrink tube?

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

The stuff I got is better than heat shrink and fits between the original spring and the new hose. It's smooth rather than ribbed like the original but not to many folks would notice the little differance.

keith
alp
Roadster Fanatic

Post by alp »

is the cost of replacing the motor worth the $50 for a new hose? Heat shrink is for electrical wires not something this important. Why do so many people $5 fixes for things?
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

alp wrote:is the cost of replacing the motor worth the $50 for a new hose? Heat shrink is for electrical wires not something this important. Why do so many people $5 fixes for things?
I think you may have missed the part about new braided stainless hose Keith uses to rebuild the hoses. The cover is for stock appearance. I did mine with braided stainless covered Teflon Areoquip hose and AN fittings, made for brake system pressure, about 1000% safety margin, and was $25.00 vs $118.00 to $129.00 at the two vendors I checked for the original.

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

In this case the tubing is purely cosmetic. The modern stainless braid over teflon tube is rated at some thousands of pounds and spec for oil. I got the good heat, oil, gas and darn near everything else resistant cover tube so it would continue to look good for years to come. The first pair I had done did not have the tubing and spring cover. While they will outlast the rest of the car by decades, there was interest in something more cosmeticaly similar to the original. I like the idea of fixing something the right way once, and this is it.

keith
alp
Roadster Fanatic

Post by alp »

my mistake sorry about the response. I see too many people respond with quick fixes that are because the owner is trying to spend nothing to fix a problem.