Recently Acquired 68 SRL311

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Frank69
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Recently Acquired 68 SRL311

Post by Frank69 »

Hello,

I recently joined the site after picking up a 1968 2000 Roadster. The car is in pretty good shape and runs like a top. It was a bit neglected in recent years, but is overall solid. I've been slowly working through the minor repairs and maintenance that it needs, as well as driving it as weather permits. I've been into cars my whole life, but my knowledge and experience is mostly with 50's classics, 60's muscle cars, Jeep CJ's and VW's. This is my first foray into Japanese collectibles (and sports cars, for that matter). I've already consulted the site extensively and done a lot of research, so thank you all for your valuable contributions.

An interesting note on the provenance of this particular car. It was first acquired in California in 1968 by the co-owner of a Datsun dealership. She drove it for a few years, but kept it in the "family collection." Later, her sons ran the Datsun/Nissan dealerships (by then 2 in neighboring towns). I was friends with one of the sons in high school and bought probably 10-12 new Nissans from him over the years. As a matter of fact, my whole family bought cars from him. He was a true car guy and had quite a collection of Datsuns/Nissans as well as other makes. Unfortunately, my friend passed away several years ago. In a roundabout way, I was able to acquire this car, still with the original 1968 title and black California license plates. I am the "second owner" on paper, although the car passed through a few hands before I tracked it down. I'm happy to have it, cherish the history, and will eventually pass it along to another family member.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Recently Acquired 68 SRL311

Post by S Allen »

Welcome Frank. It looks like you scored a nice looking roadster.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by iloveredmeat »

I'm sorry about your friend, but what a great honor to his memory.

Sweet looking car. Welcome!
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Welcome Frank69, great car, great story... I'm sure your friend will be smiling with you on every drive! Glad you have joined the family. There are a few things that need to be monitored or fixed with Roadsters, and I'm sure a few more will chime in if asked something like "what quirks or common issues will need my attention?" The one that always comes to mind for me on a U20 is the "evil L" (chain guide being hit/damaged by the upper timing chain during start up) and the need to shim the tensioner, and making sure the oil drain back tube is still in the filter set up. If not already done, I'd "de-smog" the engine (remove the air pump, plug the holes machined into the head with proper plugs, and recurve/replace the distributor (EI version is a great upgrade). Dual carbed engines are very sensitive to balance, so obtaining a good carb balancing tool is important to have (the "snail" is the best, unisyn will work with proper use and practice) and understanding the carb linkage can be important. Check the firewall for cracks around the master cylinder, there's a great brace available. Consider installing a fusible link or other form of protection coming off the main power wire (usually white) that goes to the amp gauge or a short there will turn your amp gauge into a fuse and could start a fire. Check the oil inside the steering box (often leaks out leaving a dry box, there's a grease out there that some use that I need to get!). Check your grease boots on the suspension... they turn to goo over time and no grease means expensive wear!

Ya know, I don't know if there's a list of things to check on our cars in the wiki, but I'm pretty sure Dann at Rallye Roadster had such a thing in his literature. If we don't have one we should start one... a new addition would be making sure you have your drive shaft reinstalled properly for alignment if it's ever been removed (like when the clutch is done)... just found mine was 45 degrees out.

Welcome! Never hesitate to ask questions... no such thing as a stupid one! HAVE FUN!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Frank69
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Frank69 »

Thanks all. Greg, thank you for taking the time to provide that list of maintenance items. Very much appreciated. I’ve added all of your suggestions to my “to do” list.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

You're very welcome! If there's anything/reference that doesn't make sense, just ask away...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
S Allen
Site Admin

Post by S Allen »

There is an artiicle in the tech wiki about starting up a roadster that has sat for a long time.
http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... on.StartUp

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth