Bumpers from Vietnam

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bradleygt60
Roadster Newby

Bumpers from Vietnam

Post by bradleygt60 »

Hello,
I was wanting to replace both bumpers. Ross from Sports Imports doesn't have any. I'm thinking about ordering a set from Vietnam. I did a search and seen that there seems to be a problem with the angle of the front bumper. Would like to know if that everyone had that problem or if the vendor had that problem fixed or if the angle is still wrong.
Thanks Brad
dads311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Bumpers from Vietnam

Post by dads311 »

I have a set on my 67.5 and they are great... good fit, good shine, over riders fit perfectly. I am very happy with them. When I look at pictures of stock 67.5's these bumpers appear to have the same lines as those in the pictures.
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

I agree with dads311. I have a roadster and 240Z set both are exceptional; fit, quality, finish -----all well done.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

This was my experience with them-- as far as I know the front bumper angle has not been corrected:

Bumpers

Some of you may have bought the new Vietnamese stainless steel bumpers, and I did the same adding them to this project. The rear went on beautifully with no work at all to make it line up correctly.

The front, while lovely with its shaved holes, was a mess. The mounting brackets had been welded on incorrectly, and despite having nice new bumper brackets from Dean at Datsunparts.com (which were beautifully powder coated black and fit correctly), the bumper was still mounted at a 20-degree angle downhill on both sides, obviously a manufacturing error from the bumper supplier in Vietnam and was unacceptable.

So, tonight after fixing a few other little things, I decided to take this one on. First off with the bumper to see just how bad the bumper mounting brackets could be...

With the bumper mounted flat, you can easily see the bumper bracket angle problem:

So, cut the nice new bumper mounting brackets, or modify the bumper? I chose the bumper-- it is stainless steel, and I could see that there were just a few small tack welds holding on the mounting bracket...

A few minutes carefully wielding the die grinder, and the spot welds were cut free:

This allowed me to realign the bracket to its correct position, and put in three new little spot welds with the TIG welder:

A quick polish on the underside on the buffing wheel, add a little black paint back on the inside, and the bumper was remounted:

Much better-- a few little tweaks tomorrow night and a final alignment and we can tick that off the list...

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
bradleygt60
Roadster Newby

Post by bradleygt60 »

Wanted to thank everyone for the replies. Went ahead and ordered a set and see how it goes.
Brad
MattC
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MattC »

Let us know how it works out. They are probably on my list for next year. What’s the price these days? The website just says contact for info.
Matt

1970 2000 #14204
2004 350Z Roadster
2014 Tundra

Williamsville, NY
rwmann
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by rwmann »

Anyone contact the manufacturer to suggest those changes in the build?
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

I also have the Alignment problem. Temporally I made some beveled shims that I installed between the bumper & the mounts.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

rwmann wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:22 am Anyone contact the manufacturer to suggest those changes in the build?
That's a great idea since they seem to be offering a very high quality product... I'm sure they would appreciate it!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
bradleygt60
Roadster Newby

Post by bradleygt60 »

The ones I ordered were $839.00 which includes shipping plus $50.00 sales tax for the pair. I didn't know another country would be collecting sales tax. I checked into having the bumpers on the car chromed and a couple of small dings removed and it was $900.00 per bumper. I will mention to them about the angle of the front bumper. Thanks for the replies.
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

They are going to have a crack at reproduction Hub Caps here pretty soon and Headlight Buckets as well per a Facebook post from them a week or two back.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate