Zinc plating

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

69roadster
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Zinc plating

Post by 69roadster »

I'm about to send my hardware for 67 2000 the plater . As I understand it just about all the hardware we're zinc plated. Are there any other parts or hardware that we're yellow crhomate
looking for ideas on how to distinguish which hardware goes where, as I understand it they plate all the nuts, bolts, screws ect. to gather. For you guys that have had this done do have a system to identify the hardware when they came back.
Also please help with my list of part to plate
Gas filler neck
Coil bracket
Ebrake linkage
All body bolts
Radiator bolts
Horn bolts
Hood latches
Door latches and striker
Antenna bracket behind the drivers fender
Heater bolts
Wipes motor bolts
All suspension bolts nuts washer
Are there other parts I'm missing.

Thanks
Last edited by 69roadster on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Re: Zinc plating

Post by keith0alan »

I twist mine into strings on copper wire with a tag on each string.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Habitat.pat »

Headlight supports, relay/regulator covers
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
davdav2000
Roadster Fanatic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by davdav2000 »

hood prop rod; rear trunk latch parts if not included in the "hood latch" above. Soft top pivot mounts and bolts, soft top receiving pieces mounted near the pivot mounts, the soft top latches connected to the side wires-- they attach to the soft top receiving pieces.
David
70 SRL
68 SPL
68 SPL Parts car
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Determining which parts are plated and what color is a pain. Between the two cars I was able to get most of it. However in the end I yellow plated some things that should have been just silver. I almost plated some painted items. Some were powder coated and some repainted.

Bagging and labeling helped me but photos would have also helped. After paying plenty to replate bolts and nuts I started using the AN bolts for many places from Spruce Aircraft. They are yellow cad plated but not metric so probably won't help you in most places except body bolts and a couple other places.. I also use stainless in many places where you can't see them anyway.

Hood prop is painted body color. Had mine powder coated white for the white car and black for the blue car. Same with hood and trunk hinges.
Look closely at the soft top mounts on the side by the door. They look silver to me so someone that has a set that is good maybe can tell us. I need to do mine.

Heater and wiper mount bolts are all silver on both my cars.

Since you apparently have a 69 it may be different than my 66 and 67.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
davdav2000
Roadster Fanatic

Post by davdav2000 »

I know this is months later and you've certainly plated or not plated by now. But if you haven't or for anyone else, it seems most bits were zinc plated with a very light yellow color. So, I'd have to say that you have to choose and plate everything the same. I chose sliver zinc for all of my stuff (even if not original), including everything in the engine bay and used silver zinc hose clamps and the prop rod-- even if it should be car color. I did the same for the trunk for the latch, the hose clamps, and the filler neck. Everything matches. So, I would say, pick and make it all the same. I think mine looks good. I think silver looks better. But, not technically correct.

David
David
70 SRL
68 SPL
68 SPL Parts car
funkaholik
Roadster Fanatic

Post by funkaholik »

Pictures, pictures, pictures. I bagged and tagged everything, labeling the bags as specifically as necessary so I'd know what everything is and where it goes. Then I laid out each bag of parts, next to its labeled bag, and photographed them together. Made it SO much easier to account for everything once it came back from plating.

Also, I completely agree with what davdav2000 said above. I started out replating gold parts gold, silver parts silver. Quickly realized that I don't like the look of the gold. Wish I'd decided that from the beginning and just done everything in silver. Not "correct" but my car is far from concours anyway.
Erik Miller
Concord, CA
1970 Datsun SPL311-29945, owned since '95. Back on the road in 2022!
1967 Mustang, 428, 5 speed
1981 VW Rabbit Truck, 1.6 turbo diesel
...Oh, and a daily driver.
viewtopic.php?t=19067
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by DAC21 »

funkaholik wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:57 pm Pictures, pictures, pictures. I bagged and tagged everything, labeling the bags as specifically as necessary so I'd know what everything is and where it goes. Then I laid out each bag of parts, next to its labeled bag, and photographed them together. Made it SO much easier to account for everything once it came back from plating.

Also, I completely agree with what davdav2000 said above. I started out replating gold parts gold, silver parts silver. Quickly realized that I don't like the look of the gold. Wish I'd decided that from the beginning and just done everything in silver. Not "correct" but my car is far from concours anyway.
When you say Gold, are you referring to yellow chromate? Which typically is a short anti corrosion bath process after fresh zinc plating which yields the yellow "rainbow" color.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
funkaholik
Roadster Fanatic

Post by funkaholik »

That's correct. And the "silver" is actually called "clear". I just use "gold" and "silver" because I'm lazy...
Erik Miller
Concord, CA
1970 Datsun SPL311-29945, owned since '95. Back on the road in 2022!
1967 Mustang, 428, 5 speed
1981 VW Rabbit Truck, 1.6 turbo diesel
...Oh, and a daily driver.
viewtopic.php?t=19067
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Nickel- zink electro plated I'd say
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
mewboys
Site Supporter

Post by mewboys »

Are yellow chromate nuts, bolts and washers available new?
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

mewboys wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 pm Are yellow chromate nuts, bolts and washers available new?
Not from Nissan any more from the one's I've purchased in the last several years. Out in the wild, yes.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: All steering components, Stan Stealth Dizzy
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

mewboys wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 pm Are yellow chromate nuts, bolts and washers available new?
Yellow zinc and golden di-chromate fasteners are readily available. Ace hardware and stores that carry the MSC hardware selection are some examples. Usually found on grade 8 marked items. FWIW. Pat