Bulge Under Cowl

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Bulge Under Cowl

Post by Steve_69 »

On my 68, I am cleaning and stripping paint for prep and working on the front under the windshield. Under the cowl grill, on the passenger's side, there is a bulge area that is open from under the dash. I do not remember anything fitting up inside it. Can anyone tell me what this bulge is for? It was over 2 years ago when I removed the dash and other components and I have slept since then. Thanks, Steve
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Re: Bulge Under Cowl

Post by JT68 »

Sounds like you are describing the air inlet for the heater. It has a cap on it to let air in but not water. On late cars the heater buts up to it with a gasket on the inside-no fitting like the early cars. Hope this helps.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Bulge Under Cowl

Post by Steve_69 »

Thanks JT. I believe you are spot on. I am debating about removing the cowl to do refurbishment underneath, but some of the welding around the windshield frame looks difficult to remove and put back. Struggling mentally. Hate to get into something beyond my skill level.