Clutch/ transmission issues

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

IrishRoadsterNY
Forum Newb
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Clutch/ transmission issues

Post by IrishRoadsterNY »

I finally managed to swap out the 5 speed trans on my 1968 U20 but I’m having a slight clutch engagement issue. With the engine off the gears shift ok (a little stiff on 2nd- I replaced 2nd and 3rd synchro). When I start the engine and operate the clutch the gears don’t want to engage. However if I turn the engine off, then engage 1st and start the engine it drives ok and goes through all the gears (again 2nd a little stiff). Seems to be a little more play in the clutch pedal than before. Is this something that’s adjustable with the clutch cable and/ or slave cylinder or is something else up? Thanks for any input u might have
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Clutch/ transmission issues

Post by spyder »

The slave cylinder has an adjustable nut that has a ball shape which presses on the clutch fork. I would check to see if most of the play is adjusted out. Another problen is the clutch pedal pin wears and reduces the amount of travel at the slave cylinder.
IrishRoadsterNY
Forum Newb

Re: Clutch/ transmission issues

Post by IrishRoadsterNY »

I think I got it sorted out! Adjusted the slave cylinder and its shifting hood now.. car was fully rebuilt in 2017.. new clutch, slave cylinder, rebuilt motor and trans. However the trans was giving me issues in 1st and 2nd gear since last year, so I rebuilt a spare trans and dropped it in last week. I knew it couldn’t have been a big issue as other than the old transmission it was running great. I replaced all the bearings and 2nd and 3rd synchros. 2nd gear is a little sticky still but I’m hoping that will change as I get more miles up.