General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Shoutout to JT at Datsun Restoration Products

Post by theunz »

Some of you probably saw my recent post about wanting a rev limiter for my 2000. After looking at the options (not many) I decided that the 123 distributor would be my best bet. Jim’s web site showed them to be out of stock so I called him to see if and when he would have them again. He said that he’d just go ahead and order some and could get them in just a few days. A few days latter on a Friday he contacted me and said he just got them in and would build mine (they must be modified to fit the roadster) over the weekend and ship it out. Saturday evening I got an email saying it had shipped. USPS attempted delivery on Thursday but I wasn’t home to sign for it, so I picked it up on Friday. It was a very busy day for me, but I had a few hours that I could work on the car. I had an autocross on Saturday and Sunday and debated wether it was a good idea to install a new part without time to test it, but decided to go ahead and do it.
The car ran perfect on my first three runs, but halfway through my fourth run it started missing something fierce. I was barely able to limp it off the course and back to my trailer where it died and would not restart. It appeared that I wasn’t getting any spark from the coil so I loaded up and went home to swap coils for Sunday’s event.
One home and out of the bright sunlight I found the coil to be firing. I had pulled the cap off the distributor at the track and all looked well, but further investigation reveled that the rotor was able to freely move from the 5:00 position to the 7:00 position. Not good!
At this point I thought it would be a good idea to call Jim and ask if he had ever encountered anything like that, hoping perhaps it was just something that slipped. I certainly didn’t have any expectations of getting ahold of a vendor on a Saturday afternoon, but he answered immediately. We discussed what was happening and both felt that something in the 123 had failed. He seemed genuinely concerned about my predicament and said “ I’ll just build you another one and ship it out and then you can ship the bad one back”. Now, who does that? Most will say ship it back and we’ll check it out and then repair or replace it. Not Jim, he wanted to get me running again as soon as possible. I consider that above and beyond expectations!
I told him I was going to pull it out and reinstall my points distributor so I could compete on Sunday and perhaps the issue would be apparent once the 123 was removed. It was!! Jim had wanted me to call him back and let him know if I found the problem, so this is what told him… The shaft that drives the oil pump on one end and the distributor on the other end had broken! There is a slot on the distributor end of that shaft that the tang on the bottom of the distributor fits in and half of that slot hat broken off. Jim immediately said “do you want me to send another shaft to you”, which would have been a real godsend had I not already had one in with my spares.
I replaced the broken shaft, reinstalled the 123, and then had a great day on Sunday! I was very happy with the ease of installation and the performance of the 123 and the rev limiter feature gives me one less thing to worry about. The immobilization feature could come in hand too😱
Now, I’ve bought from several of our vendors had nothing but good experiences with all of them, but Jim’s helpful service and genuine concern for his customers is a real rarity these days. Thanks Jim!

P.S. despite what my butt tells me every time I hit a bump, there is some compliance in the roadster’s suspension!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Shoutout to JT at Datsun Restoration Products

Post by iloveredmeat »

That is awesome to hear. Cheers JT!
pm
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by rwmann »

Nice supplier support!

Interesting that they allow runs with soft top up. Many don’t.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Great story Tim and JT. I've often said that customer service is where it's at and what I always appreciate most! We are very fortunate to have caring and committed vendors who love the car's as much as we do!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Thanks guys, happy to help , We have been working on roadsters and building Nissan engines over 4 decades now-that's a lot of wrench time....Bought our first 1600 in 1978- Time flies... We are enthusiasts, engineers and engine builders first, so quality and expert customer service is always highest priority. Thanks again!
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!