Saturday March 18 at Willow Springs, VARA is ..

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jr02518
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Saturday March 18 at Willow Springs, VARA is ..

Post by jr02518 »

VARA, the Vintage Automotive Racing Association is having an event at Willow Springs. They are hosting the High Desert Challenge and they are hosting an All-Japan Showdown.

Enter today for the VARA High Desert Challenge
sponsored by K&N Filters, at “The Fastest Road in the West,”
Willow Springs International Raceway!

At this event, VARA will hold its first All-Japan Feature race for all Japanese race cars.
VARA is extending a special invitation for all Datsun, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Acura and other Japanese race cars to come join our weekend and take part in a feature race that will close out the day’s racing on Saturday afternoon. VARA is also extending a special invitation to owners of vintage Japanese street vehicles to take part in reserved paddock parking and a track tour on Saturday.
VARA is excited to host our first celebration of Japanese race and street cars and we look forward to having you join us for our first All-Japan race.

This will give me the opportunity to drive another track, yes not at speed, but on a track!

March 18, details at vararacing.com
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Saturday March 18 at Willow Springs, VARA is ..

Post by jr02518 »

Given the current weather, there is a foot of snow on the ground and we are expecting much more before this storm is over, I have lots of time to map out getting to this event.

Leaving the Don Reyes Coffee Shop, at the Hesperia Airport at 7:30 and heading to the Highway 138 should get me to the Highway 15 interchange for a 8:00 departure continuing on the 138 to the 14. I am looking at a Starbucks on the 14 to stop at then push on to the race track, leaving at 9:15.

It's a plan, beats shoveling snow.

David
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Yes, the mountains above San Bernardino are encased in snow. Yes, we can get off the mountain. But today getting back up is not going to happen, yet.

The forecasted weather for March 18 looks good. The temperature will be cool. The drive will be great.

Are you ready?
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

The details for the event are coming together. The weather for Saturday is looking good. The morning drive on the Hwy 138 is going to be brisk.

One of the things you can do, at the event, on Saturday is 4 laps of the track at lunch. Think of these as parade laps....

Good Morning David, Thank you so much for sharing event , I have CC’d Efrain also on this as it was his idea, my understanding so far for this is on Saturday you will have a Car Corral , behind the bleachers going into turn #1 and then at lunch on Saturday Control Track tours for 4 laps, there is no charge for this but a donation to the charity at the event of $10 is appreciated , waivers will need to be signed before going on the track and a wrist band will be issued , gates at Willowsprings will open at 6.30am and they charge $20 for entry (good for both days) per person kids under 18 are free

More details to follow.
David
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

First, the Datsun ran great. No issues what so ever. My son had his first exposure to the car on the highway, driving, and he did a great job. Starting the day with the top down and dressing for the very cool temperature did help us both acknowledge the number of other drivers that took notice of the car. The Datsun did get its far share of positive acknowledgements.

Now that I have been to the track, Willow Springs is a place that I would like to drive at speed. The site has a very old school feel. This may be the only time that I get there where the hills were green. The profound amount of rain we have had in Southern California have provided a very positive benefit for the Antelope Valley.

On a positive note, the top is up and the front latches do their job. Driving back with that top up was a reprieve from the afternoon sun, not getting cooked was a good thing. Getting in and out of the current drivers seat has me rethinking what I will be running in the future. With the top up it is no fun at all.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

jr02518 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:55 am First, the Datsun ran great. Getting in and out of the current drivers seat has me rethinking what I will be running in the future. With the top up it is no fun at all.
I realize now that getting in and out of the car is probably what you're talking about. However, every time I read about another classic car and how cool it is to drive (say, a really nice 240z or an older Alfa) it doesn't matter as much to me because it's not a convertible... convertibles win every time for me, especially in the mountains. No, I don't track the car, but it handles everything I need it to do for me/us to have fun!

Congrats on your success!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA