Crash damage questions

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SPL311-25411
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Crash damage questions

Post by SPL311-25411 »

Hi guys,

I'm finding all kinds of weird things in the front of the car. I know it has minor crash damage that was "straightened" so I think it might explain most of this.

The front bumper has bolts through the D/S but not on the P/S. On all cars I've seen, the bolts are on both sides connecting the fenders to the center part.

The top grill support is welded to the P/S fender and the D/S is held on with two bolts. I don't understand why someone would weld it to the fender when it was also bolted like the other side. In the picture I had already removed the two bolts.

Both floorboards have two sets of holes for the seats to mount in. I'm guessing a roll bar was installed at some point, so maybe the seats were moved forward at that time? What do you think? Or did these cars come with two sets of holes for the seats so you could move them?

The headlight surrounds have differing number of trim screws. The D/S has two screws and the P/S has three. Did someone add a screw to the P/S?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'69 Datsun 1600 Roadster (Basket-Case)
'06 Scion xA (Daily and track car)
'85 Toyota MR2 (Basket-Case Converting to Electric)
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Re: Crash damage questions

Post by jrusso07 »

Here are my guesses.

The P/S fender got welded because bolts didn't line up well enough. Or/else, someone was having fun welding stuff... likely the latter.

The extra holes in the floor to move seat back for someone with long legs

The third screw on P/S surround was added likely because the surround didn't sit properly - like the original hole was too large for the screw.

I guess the P/S fender front got damaged somehow and things didn't quite line up after the repairs.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

My car had/has two sets of seat holes. My car had also been welded up by some PO in a similar fashion for no known reason. TIP: I've heard that by pouring dry ice all over the floorboards and letting it sit for a bit, if you then hit it with a hammer the undercoating will shatter off. That is MUCH easier and faster than digging all that off by hand like I did many moons ago.
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by rwmann »

One set of seat holes was taped-over at the factory. Guessing it was the forward set for the JDM.