40 years in the making...

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Re: 40 years in the making...

Post by GoldHawg »

Working a number of things with heater hose/intake, but ended up having the wrong height injectors for my Radium fuel rail. Waiting on a bunch of parts. But I did get the Radiator overflow bottle today and made a small bracket to mount it. I'm not keen on the hose that came with it; I'll probably replace with regular black hose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

I got my DeatschWerks 550cc EV14 injectors on Saturday that fit my radium fuel rail. I still have to figure out the location of the ethanol sensor, but it will be ahead of the fuel rail, as I'm running a dead head system w/no return. I discussed this setup with Carl @ Vaporworx and he convinced me this will not be a problem with the setup I have. 550cc are way more than I need, but the tuner can handle this and EV14 injectors are supposed to have an incredibly smooth idle regardless of cc. With E85 I did not trust the 270cc stock ones (both flow and the corrosive ethanol) and these DeatschWerks injectors solve both.
I also installed my bulkhead connector for the heater/ac lines. I'm not sure yet how I'll mount the heater valve from vintage AC; I'm going to have to snake some add'l line in somewhere to make this work well.
My friend David came by on Saturday and helped a bit; I drove his Datsun to get lunch for us and got a little more motivation!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

I continue to work on getting the AC and heater hose setups done. I decided to go ahead and make my own AC lines; the cost to do downtown would have been at least $50, w/two r/t to the shop of an hour. Given Amazon sells the basic tool w/enough dies for $150, coupled with the ability to do one crimp and then measure again for the 2nd crimp is really nice. If people are doing this in the future w/my compressor mount kit, I'll include rental for free--it does make things super nice. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on some of the fittings as the ones that came in the kit are not all in the right direction.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

I also decided to mount the air intake as I have to figure out how I want to box it to ensure cold air. Once this is in, I'll have a better idea of where I want the AC lines to go. Since I'm running speed density/MAP setup, I don't have to put the air filter where Michael does his. I think I may end up just using the stock bellows. I added the IAT to it today. I have some aluminum tube and I may still do that, but the bends will be somewhat complicated.

Edit: Also my chrome work is done! Can't wait to get it here from the Cleveland area.
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RustyBucket »

That is some interesting fab work. Great to watch the progress.
It’s gonna be a Beast when completed.
😳
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Since I had the 2.75" aluminum u-bend, I went ahead and made a section for the air intake, although I'm not sure which direction I'll go. With the welding and grinding down, I didn't get it super smooth but I took it to the buffing wheel tonite and got it looking pretty good--but its certainly not perfect. If I go this route I'll probably try to polish it further. I've ordered a new IAT bung to weld in here and the IACV valve port; they should arrive tomorrow.

Edit update: IAT bung and IACV vacuum port welded in and I polished it a bit more--but its not going to be a mirror w/o significant rework (e.g., rewelding to add some material to low spots). I'm afraid this is close to good enough if I go with the aluminum intake.
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Quick Update. I didn't like what I did with the AC lines. They were just so bulky with the tight space in the engine compartment. I decided to go a different route there and have replaced with stainless hardline,except for the short section that mates to the compressor, which needs softline to flex w/engine movement. I also finished an airbox. Not sure happy with the design but I need to move on, so this is it for now. I'm running speed density w/o a MAF, so I could do something like this.
ADR
Roadster Fanatic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ADR »

Amazing thread and absolutely one to bookmark for a first class build. Thank you for your excellent write up and pictures. Did you complete the car? Where can we see the next few chapters of progress?
1966 SPL311-1139 KA24DE
Longwood, FL
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RustyBucket »

So Thea/c system you are installing is purely from component s that you have cobbled together? I always thought the car could use a little a/c in the summertime.
All the best! Can’t wait till you get on the road!
Bet you wife says tge same thing (🙃). Mine does ..
Cheers