Body to Frame bolt torque

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Body to Frame bolt torque

Post by ppeters914 »

There are six 1/2-20 and eight 3/8-24 bolts to attach the body to the frame. Four of the 1/2 go into threads in the frame itself, the other two into nuts. All the 3/8 go into u-clips w/ tack welded nuts.

I couldn't find any torque specifications, so rather than "snug" or "star torque" or "calibrated elbow," I referred to my handy dandy Partsmaster torque chart. Apparently, 40 ft-lbs is too much for the 3/8 as I stripped the threads in one of the clips. 40 ft-lbs is the recommended value for a Grade 8 lubricated bolt for 70-percent clamp load. Luckily, it's one I can get to, so I'm going to try using a Dremel to cut the tack welds to remove the nut, then use a new nut and lock washer. Wish me luck.

So, to possibly help someone else avoid this, does anyone know what torque these bolts should be?

Thanks.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Body to Frame bolt torque

Post by Bwk2000 »

I would be interested in knowing as well if anyone has a definitive answer. I always thought it was about 12 ft*lbs. (not sure where I remember that from though).
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.