Not charging?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Revbang

Not charging?

Post by Revbang »

Just getting my roadster going again after a transmission swap. My amp meter reads about -5 at idle, at most +5 with engine revved, and at least -10 with the headlights on and engine revved. I have a new battery. Any ideas what might be going on?
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

Obtain a digital test meter. They are not to expensive these days. Check the battery with the engine not running. It should be 12.5 volts or better. Start the car and It should be around a volt more or 13.5 with nothing on. The regulator is mechanical, (relays) and they wear out eventually.

For reference I just checked mine and the battery was sitting at 13 volts and started it read 14.5, I have the GM alternator swap.

With all the normal electrical doodads turned on and the engine spinning around crusing speed, I would hope the battery voltage is at least 13 volts. If not you may have a charging issue.

Notice in newer vehichles they have a voltage gauge and not an amp gauge. I think the volt gauge is a better diagnostic indicator than a charge/discharge gauge, hence my call to use a digital volt meter on the battery.