Suspension question

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Fairlady5150

Suspension question

Post by Fairlady5150 »

Apologies in advance for any dumb questions, but I'm not much of a suspension guy. I discovered that my passenger side upper A-arm is missing the rear-facing nut and bushing, pictured below. I've ordered an upper A-arm pivot shaft kit, which includes the pivot shafts, both metal retaining nuts with zerk fittings, both retaining washers, and both bushes. I hope to only need the one nut, retainer and bushing, but I got the complete kit just in case. Can the bush and nut be replaced without removal of the A-arm or disassembling the suspension? How about if I have to replace the pivot shaft as well?
AArm.jpg
AArm2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Suspension question

Post by Habitat.pat »

The only dumb question is the one that isn’t asked.

I suspect that having the one bushing missing has messed up the front one also, so I’d replace both. The shaft is probably damaged so I’d install the whole kit, rather than have to tear it down again in the near future. I’d check that the upper A-frame hasn’t been damaged also.

I’d remove the upper A-frame to do this job, those hex bushings are REALLY tight. That also gives you the chance to fully inspect things.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Fairlady5150

Post by Fairlady5150 »

Habitat.Pat you make some good points there, thanks.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

If the bushings turn free on the spindle
You likely need to.mig spot weld the caps to the arm
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Fairlady5150

Post by Fairlady5150 »

redroadster I'm not sure if you're pulling my leg here, but isn't that what the lock washer is for (#57 in the parts diagram, above)? It's a flat washer with tabs you fold onto the flats of the bushing / cap. I'm guessing a previous owner forgot these.
jr02518
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jr02518 »

Having just been through the front end of my car I would offer this, while the car is on the ground with the wheels on, first give the top of the wheel, 12 o'clock, a tug. If it really moves its the upper ball joint. If your here and fell a thud, thats the a-arm. It could be upper or lower. Mine was the lower.

If you grab the wheel at three and nine and give it a shake, movement indicates the wheel bearings. This could also be the tie-rods. Some things can be tightened, the wheel bearings as an example, but the condition of the rubber boots on all the connections that have a zerk fitting are a tell. Ripped or missing boot means little or no grease.

Getting the car up on jack stands with the wheels off the car its much like a visit to your GP, when you have to have to have that exam.

Other than the upper and lower ball joints, changed by the previous owner, I got to replace everything on my car. It was all warn out. Yep, not fun but I know my car is now safe and ready for the road.

David
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Fairlady5150 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:23 am redroadster I'm not sure if you're pulling my leg here, but isn't that what the lock washer is for (#57 in the parts diagram, above)? It's a flat washer with tabs you fold onto the flats of the bushing / cap. I'm guessing a previous owner forgot these.
If the cap goes into the arm very snugly yes , but I've had some to replace that were not very & tight keep spinning ,really needs a new arm then , but you know , I started them in by hand and finished with a impact gun on half power
Time is $ , some tighten and stop others did not
Just from.the pic I wouldn't do the job without a quality control arm
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster