" Datsun Roadster Won't Start When Warm " ?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

PROUD ROADSTER OWNER

" Datsun Roadster Won't Start When Warm " ?

Post by PROUD ROADSTER OWNER »

Hi ! Monday I drove my 1969 1600 roadster to a car show 35 miles away with no problem whatsoever until I turned it off. When I tried to restart it turned over extremely slow (so slow it couldn't possibly start). After the car had set about an hour it started right up. This got me to thinking on the journey home that it could possibly be the timing ? The battery is new and has plenty of cranking power. The car ran great but if anything maybe a little sluggish but no backfire or miss in any gears. When I arrived at home the same thing happened it wouldn't start and the car wasn't running the least bit hot. I loosened the timing capscrew and retarded the timing and the car started instantly ! I'm going to get the timing light out and check the timing to see if it's off . If I make a significant timing adjustment from the previous setting it was set at during my trip will I need to do anything with carburetors but reset the idle ? By the way I did bring a 2nd place trophy home but I think politics might have entered in to the car not getting a first place !

ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED !! DON

THANKS FOR THE ASSISTANCE THIS FORUM PROVIDES !!!!!
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Over advanced timing will make it harder to crank, but so will a hot starter. If you have a stock 69 emmision distributor, timing should be at TDC, 0 degrees advance vacuum hose disconnected and plugged. If it's been converted to a non smog, use the earlier spec, I think 16 degrees. double check this befor setting the timing.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I am betting that the starter is getting overheated. I had a 66 Mustang once with a 289 and headers - if you drove it over 100mph, you could plan on replacing the starter - it would get baked! A lot of Roadsters have headers - some will allow the use of a 1600 starter. The close proximity will eventually bake the starter to the point that it will do as you described.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

If it is a heat issue, get the H20 starter from a forklift parts dealer, and if necessary put a heat wrap on the starter or the header or both. I also use 2 gauge marine cables, massive overkill, enough cable to start a big diesel, but I like overkill.

Ig you use the metallic heat wrap, keep it away from the positive batt cable terminal, they can slip and short out.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

I had the same problem with my '69 2000. Drove 60 miles to a car show, stopped for a coke and it wouldn't start. Same thing happened again after a 20 mile run up a canyon road. Happened another 3 or 4 times after other runs. My mechanic said the same thing Sid speculated. I put in a new gear reduction starter about a year ago, and haven't had a problem since.