Suggested drives OR/WA border

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Suggested drives OR/WA border

Post by Gregs672000 »

Greetings, I'm looking for suggestions for nice mountain/river/country drives on the boarder of Washington and Oregon. I have not explored this area much. My wife and daughter just did a short trip to a couple of nice waterfalls along interstate 84, had a great time and there are several more to visit. I've never been to Mt Hood... is it nice? I am looking at one drive that loops to Hood and crosses back across the river to WA at the Hood River bridge, then maybe east and North back on 97 through eastern WA, or west then north to St.Helens and back (I know the western approach to that road, it's awesome). The drive to Hood would bypass most of the waterfalls, so I only want to drive to Hood if it's worth it. Could always do two trips of course.

Was planning a trip to Glacier national in MT, but it now requires a car permit and it's currently sold out and a very busy place... we like less traffic and often drive on weekdays. Thanks for any suggestions!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
bajaroadster
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Suggested drives OR/WA border

Post by bajaroadster »

Definetly do the Mt St Helens trip. If you havent already done so, visit the cave system and take in the Lava Canyon hike. almost a dozen waterfalls on a reasonably short hike.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
bajaroadster

Post by bajaroadster »

Lava Canyon
Picture_1153.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

Ape Caves
RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RBMann »

Hi Greg-

I would skip Mt. Hood for the waterfalls. Pickup the Historic Columbia River Highway in Troutdale and head east. Vista House is a great view. Farther east the old road from Mosier to The Dallas through Rowena is nice.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hood+Ri ... 933600!3e0

For the scenic drive back here is my best route. North from Lyle on Canyon Road to Appleton then back down to the Hwy 142, Klickatat Canyon Road. NE on 142 to Glenwood Hwy all the way to Troutlake. From Trout Lake north on Mt. Adams Rd. NF-23 which is paved to the junction with NF-90, also paved, that goes west along the Lewis River to NFD-25 that goes north past Mt St. Helens. Great driving roads and scenery. Most of this route is also Ted approved.

Down into Klickitat from Appleton-

Klickitat Canyon-

Glenwood Hwy-

Near Trout Lake-

I could go on and on but you get the idea.
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ohhhhh man, exactly what I was looking FOR! Thanks for such complete directions. I've looked over Google maps trying to plot a drive out there (Trout lake and Mt Adams) but was not sure about road conditions... pretty remote place to lose a comp oil pan to a dirt road ditch... been on plenty over the years however! Looks absolutely beautiful, and new to us! Thanks!

Thanks too for the other suggestions! I love that side of St Helens and look forward to exploring that area even more! Great pics!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Greg,
RBManns route back is very good. Depending on time and interest the waterfalls on 84 east of Troutdale are extremely memorable----- be careful, some now require reservations. A parallel drive staying on the WA side of the Columbia out of Camas is hwy 14, also compelling: more 2-lane, less freeway. A stop at Beacon Rock, experience can't be duplicated, then Stevenson for fuel (car and stomach). Continue 14 east to cross at HR then up 35 to Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood. Can't be overstated, simply spectacular. The lodge provides views, meals, no reservations (unless staying over), pricy but once-in-a-lifetime. Back down 35, pause at the Best Western (or stay over), best river-view dining in HR. Back over the bridge to hwy 14, east to Lyle and follow RBManns route as above.
If your visit to HR overlaps, join our car group: (www.gscg.info) for a drive or coffee. Options and details for several dates are on the gscg site, click Resources for a map: 2022 Local GSCG Loops. The Route #3 is RBMann's path south-side of Mt Adams.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Wow, sounds like a great Drive! Thanks for the details and the offer of the drive, I'll definitely check into it.
Welcome to the family, glad you have joined. We're excited to explore this area more!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
ppeters914

Post by ppeters914 »

For thems that don't know, Rick (aka RBMann) is quite the Roads Scholar and a fair to middlin' photographer. He loves to "get lost", usually on two wheels.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle