67.5 SPL311 in CO

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Bear
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

67.5 SPL311 in CO

Post by Bear »

As a kid, I used to pester my older brothers to stop on the way to a larger nearby town, so I could look at a derelict little yellow 69' (I think). That car stuck with me over the years. In 2019 I attended the SEMA show. There were 2 very well done Datsun roadster builds, that I kept revisiting. These amazing cars reignited my interest, and long-dormant NEED to own one. After a couple years of casual browsing, I decided this was the year.

In searching for examples to get an idea of what I might pay, I recently stumbled across one that was in the state, with no solid offers. 1.5 weeks later, and after 14hrs of windshield time, I pulled in the driveway with SPL311-111XX on a trailer. It's a rough 1967.5, non-numbers matching, but running project. It's been in a low-speed wreck and has a banged up front end. I'm finding the body panels are going to be a challenge to source. Driver's fender isn't salvageable, in my opinion, but I think some skilled panel-beating, and patience will save everything else. The interior is surprisingly complete, but nearly completely destroyed by UV.

Long-term plans are to engine swap and restore, keeping it pretty close to original. I'm leaning towards an SR20DET, but still researching options. Current plans are to get it road-safe, and enjoy it as a beater on our winding mountain roads while I figure out the build, and collect parts. I'm trying to finish a few other projects before I really jump into this one, but that's been a real challenge. Motivation to work on anything else has been low.

I did put some fresh fluids in it, fired it up, and have taken it on some back-road test drives. Whatever the donor engine is (B210?), it runs surprisingly well. I had always hoped that driving one of these would have the go-cart fun factor and I wasn't disappointed.

I've been enjoying learning about all the differences across the years of these little cars, and I sure appreciate all the knowledge people have shared here. Thank you all for sharing your enthusiasm and knowledge of these little cars, it's been very helpful and I've only scratched the surface.

-Bear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: 67.5 SPL311 in CO

Post by bmccarthy67 »

Congrats and welcome. Great beck story of your 1st Roadster memories. Seems like a great starting point and glad to hear you are driving it 1st before the engine swap. Don't see wire wheels that often and I always thought they had a classic look to a vintage two seater. Welcome to the group!

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Welcome! I think I remember that car. I thought it had a roadster engine in it, does it not? Post more pictures. I remember the driver's side fender was banged up, but I think it could be repaired.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Welcome Bear. I enjoy hearing long lost love affair stories. Mine would probably have been similar had I not stumbled across my car a year and a half later after first seeing it drive by me. It sat for that entire time just two houses away on the other side of the road without me knowing it, waiting for the snowy day I found it almost completely buried under a drift, derelict and near dead, just the tail lights sticking out like a hand reaching for help. I took that hand, and 36 years later we have traveled thousands of miles and become fast friends, and I've learned a lot about cars, myself and life along the way. We look forward to hearing about your build, and we're ready to help with knowledge and encouragement. I expect that someone local will find a workable fender for you... dig in!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Welcome! Let the fun begin!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Bear
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Bear »

Thanks, all. Interesting cars often have interesting stories, it's fun sharing them. I've gotten mixed reviews on the fender, the more I stare at it, the more I think it can be saved. ...That may also be the lack of viable alternatives talking. I'm more comfortable with thicker metals. It's going to need a lot, but it's not going anywhere.