putting it all back together

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

johnscf
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

putting it all back together

Post by johnscf »

I've been occasionally working on a 68 2000 to get her back on the road. Most everything was taken off the body and out of the interior and I am getting close to being ready to paint her. Trim all removed, seats out, carpet up, weatherstripping, console and dash and wiring harness removed. It was about 2 or 3 years ago when I did the disassembly and I hope I took enough pictures and remember where everything goes. I'm wondering if there is "best practice" sequence of putting everything back on and in once I've finished with paint? Any suggestions or tips or "make sure you do this before you do that" type advice???
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
71 Toyota Celica ST coupe
74 Toyota Celica GT coupe
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: putting it all back together

Post by C.Costine »

johnscf wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:28 pm I've been occasionally working on a 68 2000 to get her back on the road. Most everything was taken off the body and out of the interior and I am getting close to being ready to paint her. Trim all removed, seats out, carpet up, weatherstripping, console and dash and wiring harness removed. It was about 2 or 3 years ago when I did the disassembly and I hope I took enough pictures and remember where everything goes. I'm wondering if there is "best practice" sequence of putting everything back on and in once I've finished with paint? Any suggestions or tips or "make sure you do this before you do that" type advice???

I got all new weatherstripping and pretty much all of the rubber for mine. Get new carpet and put the interior panels in before it.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
johnscf
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by johnscf »

C.Costine wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm
johnscf wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:28 pm I've been occasionally working on a 68 2000 to get her back on the road. Most everything was taken off the body and out of the interior and I am getting close to being ready to paint her. Trim all removed, seats out, carpet up, weatherstripping, console and dash and wiring harness removed. It was about 2 or 3 years ago when I did the disassembly and I hope I took enough pictures and remember where everything goes. I'm wondering if there is "best practice" sequence of putting everything back on and in once I've finished with paint? Any suggestions or tips or "make sure you do this before you do that" type advice???

I got all new weatherstripping and pretty much all of the rubber for mine. Get new carpet and put the interior panels in before it.
I got carpet and other interior pieces from Dean. Are you talking about door panels?
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
71 Toyota Celica ST coupe
74 Toyota Celica GT coupe
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by theunz »

I guarantee you that you did not take enough pictures. It is impossible to do so! There is always something that doesn’t show up in your pictures. The good thing is that there is always someone here who can post a picture of what you need.
Take your Time during reassemble and think through the following steps. You will undoubtably assemble some items in the wrong order, but just have patience and don’t get excited about it. Consider how installing one item can prevent easy access to another item. Your dash is a good example. When I went to hook up the wires to my clock I found that there was no way to reach them. No big deal since it’s only right twice a day anyway.
Expect some do overs and just chill when you encounter one. It’ll come together quicker than you think.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!