Thing to consider when buying online.

Put your favorite links here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Thing to consider when buying online.

Post by Gregs672000 »

Today I learned a lesson, thought I'd share it with you all...
Recently I broke off an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold of my 2006 Mazda 3 (apparently no antiseize had been used prior, never seen one so welded in). After I considered the age of the catalytic converter and the fact that it would require a lot of drilling and tapping to get it out, and would have to be done off the car anyway, I decided that I may as well replace it. Got a good price at Parts geek with a 30 day return and shipping was $19.95, so I figured I was risking 20 bucks x2 for shipping if it didn't work out. So, part arrives, it's substandard and missing a mount that helps support the cat, and since that crappy thing is not going on the car I again change course and proceed with drilling and taping that sucker out of the old one. I eventually win :smt067 and all is well.

So, I get my return auth for the part and head out to the shipping store to return it. Cost? $115.00 UPS. Whaaaaaaaat. Why did I not see this coming? The part itself only cost $261. It's almost half of that just to return it. Doh! Off to the post office, and they end up being a bit more reasonable at $74, but still. I'm pissed, but seriously, who can I blame?
Me :smt021 . Moral of the story is to be aware of ACTUAL shipping costs if you're buying something biggish that may need to be returned and the seller doesn't pay return shipping.
I love wasting money. :Tosser:
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Thing to consider when buying online.

Post by notoptoy »

Rock auto is like that if you can't prove it is their error. If they shipped the wrong part, or it is not as represented, they will take it back and send a shipping label. You just have to jump through a lot of hoops. I would certainly persist if I were you. You should not have to pay if the part is not correct - that is no fault of yours.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks for the thought, but they shipped the part I requested... it would work in a pinch, but I decided it was below my standard.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Steve_69 »

I am sorry to hear about your experience. We have all been there. I bought a $3 oil seal from Rock Auto. When it got here, it is way past its shelf life. This thing probably is from the 60's. The box is so degraded. I expect the rubber would fall apart under load. Shipping cost to return it? $8. I guess I will throw it away. I thought Rock Auto sold new parts. I won't be using them anymore. Not nearly as bad as your story, though.
bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by bobd »

I have dealt with Rock Auto a lot and they take the shipping cost out of the refund but it has always seemed reasonable to me. Never had to return a very large part, so that could make a difference.
'69 1600 with SR20DE
devo
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by devo »

bobd wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:01 am I have dealt with Rock Auto a lot and they take the shipping cost out of the refund but it has always seemed reasonable to me. Never had to return a very large part, so that could make a difference.
+1. I recently wanted to return a $3 part to Rock Auto. They said hang on to the part for 2 weeks, if they don't send me a request to send it back, its mine to do with whatever I like. They didn't send a return request. Pretty reasonable.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

I recently bought / ordered ceramic pads for a monte C
I got reg semi metallic ones from them
Part stores were the high on any pad
I paid 17 $ so can't complain too much
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Buying parts online is a gamble. Quite often in small print by the photo or on it it states the part may be different. Bought a resonator from Rock Auto for my Mazda truck and it was totally different as in it was a bullet style instead of stock type. They had to take it back because the manufacturer had changed it and the photo had not. Went to Mazda and paid the extra.

Bosal sent me a Honda Civic resonator when all I ordered was some insulators, I can't remember who I ordered it through. In the end they told me to keep it and sent the exhaust insulators. I gave it away.

Parts in old boxes, I've had a couple of those for the Datsun. They aren't kidding when they say NOS.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I have been happy with Rockauto and buy most of my daily driver parts from them, though I don't recall having to return much. I bought a CV boot replacement kit from Amazon that won't work the way I want, so I requested a return. I dropped it off at Kohls as directed yesterday after the other part. This morning I have an email that my purchase has been refunded. Fast, simple, easy, effective.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I love the Kohls' drop off for Amazon returns - last time I did that, they also gave me a 15% off coupon in store too!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by bobd »

Gregs672000 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:20 pm I have been happy with Rockauto and buy most of my daily driver parts from them, though I don't recall having to return much.
I have a growing collection of the magnetic car stickers on a door in the barn.
'69 1600 with SR20DE