Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Fuel tank exterior galvanizing repair

Post by DAC21 »

Linda wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:04 pm 800 seems out of line for the Renu process. I did go to that Bellflower location when I had that process done for my tank, but it was not that pricey.
I think I would call another location just to see their cost quote, maybe give them the tank measurements.
Otherwise a boil out then a DIY tank seal might work.
Linda
There are only two Renu locations in Cali the other being in Stockton per the Corp website. Possibly others offer a similar service just not under the 'Gas Tank Renu" system/ licensing. I did mention it was an 11 gallon tank.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by bmccarthy67 »

I just had my tank done with the GTRenue process. It was $500 out the door. I'm guessing each individual location can charge as they see fit within reason (mine was at Chatham Radiator...an authorized Renu location..the only one on their web site for Georgia). There is, as others said a lifetime guarantee (hell they imbed a serial number plate in the coating to match your warranty card). I can say I was not happy with the work. The National site makes it look pretty cool with a pretty shiny gloss black look, but my outside is a pretty messy looking with a brushed on appearance and there were some real messy areas on the fill connector (which need to be a lot smoother for the fill hose to slide on. I imagine if you're worried about the galvanizing and you need to do something...this stuff is not going anywhere as it looks like a pretty thick coating that will protect the tank long after I'm gone.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

My tank has a dull almost rubberized, coating on the outside which I think is very protective so I don’t mind.
Looks like my tank was done about April 2005, and still holding up.
Seems they make the point on the website that the process is for restoring OEM tanks, as it may be cheaper to buy an aftermarket tank for most cars that are not classics.

Linda
Last edited by Linda on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
DivinDave
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DivinDave »

I took a tank to the local gas tank renu outlet in nearby area of MD back in 2014. It was $400, but really perfect inside and out.
Went to take another roadster tank to them and they have gone away due to changes in the area they were located. The process is not dirt cheap but it is really done right.
Dave
'70 2L srl 13385. Not a beauty yet, but a great runner!
'70 1600 spl 29608. Running again and looking pretty good.
http://www.DiveHatteras.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

As a followup, I talked with the closest Renu company. They recommended just going with a high zinc content paint & be done with it. I sprayed a Rustolium brushable primer, then top coated with automotive black paint. I talked wot Tom Walter who used to be on this list (I think) and he said that this primer is certified for aviation use, I figured it was good enough for me!

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

The exterior is no big deal, you can paint it. It’s the interior that counts.
Would not be surprised if the patent is finished with Gas Tank Renu, therefor perhaps there are other vendors?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by bobd »

Cleaned, coated, and painted mine seven years ago still looks good.
'69 1600 with SR20DE
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Habitat.pat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:13 pm As a followup, I talked with the closest Renu company. They recommended just going with a high zinc content paint & be done with it. I sprayed a Rustolium brushable primer, then top coated with automotive black paint. I talked wot Tom Walter who used to be on this list (I think) and he said that this primer is certified for aviation use, I figured it was good enough for me!

Peace,
Pat
All primers are only as good as the prep under them, no matter the application.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Amen
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT