Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Fuel tank exterior galvanizing repair

Post by Habitat.pat »

Just got my fuel tank back from being cleaned & passed it on to the body man for paint. When I went out to check on things I found that his helper had sanded about half the tank & was very proud of his work. When I looked at it I noticed that about 10% of the sanded area was sanded through the galvanizing!

In checking with local plating shops & searching on line I find that nobody will do re-galvanizing if they did not do the original. Makes sense, they don't want to run the risk of contaminating their baths with unknown materials.

I then found several companies selling stick zinc that you use like bar solder & a torch. Couldn't find any reviews except on the seller's sites. Some of them used wording like "zinc-like", which I consider suspect, not knowing anything about this type of work. Seems like a difficult, time consuming & iffy job at best.

Finally, there are zinc-containing paints, both rattle can & brush/spray. The only experience I had with this stuff is about 15 years ago the folks putting up may pasture fences used it on the welds they made. No cleaning before spraying. Most of the paint is still there, but there is a fair amount of rust penetration on the welds.

So, what is the opinion of the group? Anyone know of another way to take care of this problem? I considered shooting the helper or tying him on an ant pile, but will most likely let this be a learning experience for him.

Keep safe.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Fuel tank exterior galvanizing repair

Post by Linda »

https://www.gastankrenu.com/
Lifetime Warranty

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Linda wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:54 am https://www.gastankrenu.com/
Lifetime Warranty

Linda
They do nice work 👍👍
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

The late Victor Laury said he found one of their tanks in a junk yard once. LOL
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Undercoating ? Cosmoline
If they were going after rust it has rust pitting through it
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Thanks Linda. They have a rep about 100 miles from here. I sent them an email so I’ll see what they say.

I asked Tom Walter for his thoughts. He said he has some zinc primer that he is very happy with that i cam use. He used it when building his airplane a few years ago. If the FAA is happy with it, it can’t be all that bad!
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Tom Walters?? Wow. Tell him to stop by and say Hello. He was the head guru back when there was only newsletters :shock:
Also Gas TankRenu repairs any pinholes they find, as explained on their site.
Linda
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by DAC21 »

DAC21 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:24 pm
DAC21 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:23 pm
Linda wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:40 pm Tom Walters?? Wow. Tell him to stop by and say Hello. He was the head guru back when there was only newsletters :shock:
Also Gas TankRenu repairs any pinholes they find, as explained on their site.
Linda
Linda, I saw their (Oroscos) service on-line a few weeks back. They have a few locations including the OC, but possibly for Tank service only the original Bellflower location? Thoughts on price? $400 or so??
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

Just as an FYI, I called Orosco's in Bellflower CA. on their Gas Tank Renu process. I told them what I had and the guy (seemed real nice) said we don't really quote over the phone then proceeded to tell me their boil out service is $295. No guarantee it will get all the rust and it may come back unless you do the Renu process. Which he then said inclusive with the boil out you would be looking at around $800. Of course if there are any significant holes to fix, then up up and away on the cost I'd assume.

If you have a tank that's been sitting for many years I'd think the boil out service would be well worth it and then seal it yourself with a POR-15 Kit for about $60. That would be for one bottle of Degreaser, one Metal Prep and one sealer ea. Probably double that amount for an additional kit to do the outside of the tank. Even then it would save you a big chunk of change. Boil out service may well be available for a better price as well. I think you pay more in So Cal in general so your mileage will vary.
Jimmers74
Roadster Nut

Post by Jimmers74 »

DAC21, seems to me the POR product to seal the inside of the tank is different from the POR-15 that is used on sheet metal as a rust preventative. I have the tank kit that I have yet to use, and I recall it being a different material than the POR-15. Same prep steps, but a diff material.
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

Jimmers74 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:56 pm DAC21, seems to me the POR product to seal the inside of the tank is different from the POR-15 that is used on sheet metal as a rust preventative. I have the tank kit that I have yet to use, and I recall it being a different material than the POR-15. Same prep steps, but a diff material.
Yes I should have made that clearer that the outside of the tank takes a different POR-15 kit of similar cost.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

800 seems out of line for the Renu process. I did go to that Bellflower location when I had that process done for my tank, but it was not that pricey.
I think I would call another location just to see their cost quote, maybe give them the tank measurements.
Otherwise a boil out then a DIY tank seal might work.
Linda
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

My experience ...in the late 90s or early O0s
I tried to have a rusted tank redone here by a shop that did them for our Nissan dealer .
Said the only repairs like that were for classic cars seldom driven ...wanted to sell a after market tank only , of course none available
There's just the legal side that makes it silly to do for the repair shop if in a wreck it ruptured , leaked fumes in a garage
The attorney ? Your expertise in rebuilding,. that shop in Cal is walking on a minefield IMO
I and the dealer I worked at were looking at a suit after I replaced a sender and it had fumes ...turned out the guy over filled the tank and got the charcoal canister
A big scam is near 35 k to bring the car in complaining the trans slips , intermittent stalls ....when it's fine so as to try to get a new trans free down the road. Then they seem to have a reason to sue them for it
Last edited by redroadster on Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

FWIW, tad confused.

I decided to relocate Eliza's filler behind the license plate. Took it to a local place, they cut out the filler, moved it left, filled in the hole with the bit they cut out, did some welding/braising stuff , et voila. So not sure what all the 'exterior' galvanising is all about. I thought one just painted it. Would love to know where I am missing something, just for the sake of knowing.

Thx
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Dreymar
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000

Post by Dreymar »

Linda wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:54 am https://www.gastankrenu.com/
Lifetime Warranty

Linda
That looks like a nice company. I'll see if my uncle need their service for his incoming project. We'll work on it after we finished installing the parts from 4Wheelonline onto the truck and clear the garage.