'66 carbs to intake ?

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

'66 carbs to intake ?

Post by dynaguy »

putting the carbs onto the studs on the intake. I have the correct, smaller nuts. Not sure if a lock washer was/is used originally. input please.
devo
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: '66 carbs to intake ?

Post by devo »

My numbers matching ‘66 put together by Ross has them. Not sure if original or not. Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

In very high tension locations such as rods, main bearing caps, heads etc. the torque is high enough that no lock washer is needed. The stretch of the bolt is what makes it impossible for the nut to back off. In lower tension locations lock washers of different types are used. The carburetor insulators would crush with the torque needed to rely upon bolt stretch.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

I use a lock and a flat as in the picture above.
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

C.Costine wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:37 am In very high tension locations such as rods, main bearing caps, heads etc. the torque is high enough that no lock washer is needed. The stretch of the bolt is what makes it impossible for the nut to back off. In lower tension locations lock washers of different types are used. The carburetor insulators would crush with the torque needed to rely upon bolt stretch.
I'm familiar with Clamp Load, the force that a bolt produces when tightened. Was wanting to know what washers were original. Pat
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Pretty much certain it is as shown in the photo by Devo above flat washer, lock washer, nut.

You mentioned smaller nuts though, that puzzled me. A 66 is all SAE&USS so the nut should be 5/16 SAE, 1/2" wrench size.

If you have nuts with 12mm flats, those are 8mm metric which is a mis-match for your engine. (Doesn't really matter other than requiring a metric wrench for your 66, but if you are trying to be 100% correct, you need 5/16 nuts w/1/2" flats.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

If you look at the parts manual it is interesting. The old rubber type insulators show flat, lock and bolt to the manifold. For carbs just lock and nut to insulator. Then in usual Datsun fashion in figure two they show the new insulator and stud but of course not the nut and washer. I hate these parts manuals, they all seem to be different.

So I guess you extrapolate flat,lock and nut. Personally I just don't put lock washers against aluminum so it can dig in to the surface even when it shows to. Who knows, maybe I'll be sorry someday.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.