New Roadster Owner!

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: New Roadster Owner!

Post by notoptoy »

Welcome! Looks like a good solid Roadster, and sounds like you are moving ahead with plans to improve her. I would do everything possible to get the car and drive it before you spend any major money. Just get enough done to make it drive, steer and stop - you'll either bond with it or not (unlikely). Then your choices for repairs and parts can be better reasoned and planned versus jumping in on an "unseen" vehicle. Regardless, I know you are going to love it and look forward to more of your posts.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
dads311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by dads311 »

Erol, Nice to see you are trying to get the car home. If I had the time I would drive it back for you. It runs well, the previous owner had a video of it doing 70+ and he was able to stop it. I know the road he was on when he made that video and I wouldn't drive it with one hand while shooting a video and trying to shift..
Anyway I bet it would make the trip. If you can I would have the zcardoctor change the fluids, flush the radiator and block, take a quick look at the brakes and put some new tires on it, then I would jump on a plane to Boise get it and go. There are roadster owners close to the I80 Corridor who could probably give you a hand if you needed it. Have fun once you get it.

Mike
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
Erol
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Erol »

Haha yes that video scared the hell out of me! As soon as I started watching it, I immediately regretted asking him to shoot one of the car running! He’s a character as I’m sure you noticed.

So kind of you to offer to drive it back! I finally heard back from Zcardoctor (Guy) and his assessment is generally positive so looks like I may make it over there after all! Hope I can treat you to a meal if that happens.

Guy went through it really carefully and sent dozens of pictures. Judging by the number and quality of the pictures, I can already see he’s the right person for this evaluation so thank you again for the feedback. His suggestions seem in line with yours and he wasn’t able to spot any real corrosion of concern. I’m relieved and pleased the seller was honest about the car condition.

His thoughts:

“OK about your little roaster. I brought it in to do a rundown of things. The horrible rattling noise is just a missing exhaust mount and a broken heat shield plate on top of the muffler. We do have a couple of oil leaks, to be expected and the valve guides are showing their age. It smokes a bit on start up due to oil that drips down past the valve guides and into the combustion chamber. That goes away after a few seconds of run time. After it comes to temp, for what it is worth, it runs decent even with out the tune up it will get.

The main thing I can see already that needs attention paid to it. If you are serious about driving it back across the states is a water pump it is passively leaking right now. The radiator and coolant by pass hoses are not crunchy but are old. I don't think I would want to trust them making it all the way home. I would also have the radiator flushed and pressure tested. The tires don't have cracks in between the tread blocks or side walls but I wouldn't trust them either.

I haven't done a cylinder leak down test or compression test yet. As of right now I have only fired it up brought it to temp. Drove it down the block with head lights on they work. Not super bright but they are functional. I have brought it in and put it up in the air and done a pretty thorough inspection of the under carriage.

Tomorrow I will do compression and cylinder leak down test and inspect the carburetors. I will set the valves while I have the rocker cover off and I will also inspect the distributor and grade it”

Will upload a few of his pictures separately in the event anyone sees an easy fix for any of the issues.

Thanks again to you and everyone for the support and advice. Best part about this car so far has been this wonderful community!
Erol
Site Supporter

Post by Erol »

Pics and comments from tech here:

https://imgur.com/a/n9YUF1N
Erol
Site Supporter

Post by Erol »

Hi All

Just checking back here to see if anyone knows a good tech in CT/RI/MA area.

Thanks
Erol
Crapover
Roadster Nut

Post by Crapover »

I'm in CT welcome. We need to start a northeast club!