New Roadster Owner ka or sr swap?

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Southplacerkid
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

New Roadster Owner ka or sr swap?

Post by Southplacerkid »

Just picked up a 70' 1600 all stock and in great shape. Going to go through it but got a ka24 for free with tranny and wanted opinions whether to use it for a swap or a sr20? Is the savings worth it?
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: New Roadster Owner ka or sr swap?

Post by Alvin »

Southplacerkid wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 am Just picked up a 70' 1600 all stock and in great shape. Going to go through it but got a ka24 for free with tranny and wanted opinions whether to use it for a swap or a sr20? Is the savings worth it?
You already have a free drivetrain. Use it.
What are you trying to save?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
eye
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by eye »

If it's in great shape, I'd leave it stock. I did am SR20 turbo swap but mine was total junk to start with.If you are going to swap then Alvin has good advice.
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com
Jefe_505
Roadster Newby

Post by Jefe_505 »

Southplacerkid wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 am Just picked up a 70' 1600 all stock and in great shape. Going to go through it but got a ka24 for free with tranny and wanted opinions whether to use it for a swap or a sr20? Is the savings worth it?
Why not run it stock and tighten up the loose nut behind the wheel before you go all crazy and take apart something that's "all stock" and "in great shape".
Your powers are useless. I'm wearing my tinfoil underwear!

'67 Pontiac GTO
'69 1600 Roadster
'71 240Z
'92 300ZX TT
'95 Audi S6 Avant
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Some guys like the “fixing” or “building” part of the Roadster hobby more than the “driving” part. It’s OK, no shame LOL. If that’s you, go ahead. But it is sad when a car gets torn down, then the project stalls and a bunch of boxes wind up for sale.Fewer people want to put the Humpty Dumpty car back together again..... So, not sure of your motivation or skills but hope you can follow thru on whatever path you choose, and enjoy the process! The List is here to help, and the Search function, though klunky has it all.
Good luck!
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I've not done a swap, but just going from carbs to EFI and the need for high pressure fuel delivery does not make it a drop in deal, unless you want to go dual side-draft carbs. Frame mods are also necessary for both I believe. Options for improving power with the R would include removal of all emission controls (nobody yell at me!), adding an EI distributor, cam change (pros and cons, but more pros from how I like to drive) and dual Mikuni, Weber, Dellorto or the like carbs and intake with a wide band A/F meter for proper jetting. The R looks really cool with the finned rocker cover and dual side-drafts, and sounds cool too. You could always add nitros and challenge a strong U20!
If you plan to keep it, then I encourage you to make it as you want it. If not sure, stock cars are becoming harder to find, so consider keeping it in a manner than makes you happy but can be returned to stock configuration if desired. Once you modify the frame, it's no longer easily returned to stock.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Mattk »

So I guess I’ll chime in.

I agree with the previous posts
-If in good condition why not keep it original (they are fun as sh!t to drive bone stock! and these cars are getting fewer in numbers)
-if in decent condition you could go either way, I’m mean really it’s your car and you’ve got a free, hopefully very clean ka, why not?

But if you go ka, as I have, it’s a can-o-worms! Even with less frame work than a sr needs it’s still a lot of work and...heres the big thing....money! Even with the cost of the motor out you still need to spend on things you will need. But hey I think a lot of us have got a lot more time at home lately (not me though...kids) so it’s good at killin time!
Radiator, Brakes, Gauges or Gauge interface, Wiring, Exhaust ..Just some things to think about that you’ll need!

Then the things you want.
Wheels, interior spruce up, paint?

But most importantly, just have fun with it! Sounds corny but if you don’t then it’s just a waste of time. Nope now it’s corny.

Thinking about what Greg said about “return to stock”
It might be possible to do the swap in a way to make it completely reversible? I have to think about that some more but think it’s possible. I digress

2 cents of nonsense

Matthew
MattK
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Id call your insurance guy ...be honest telling what you want to do and insure ...for his imput
https://www.lelandwest.com/reporting-ve ... ompany.cfm
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

By the discussion on that link, the only person on this forum who is actually covered is John Baker, and for him only when he is running the tiny bias ply tires he has for show duty.