Got Dish?

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Victor_laury

Got Dish?

Post by Victor_laury »

Some of you know that I've developed a new vice, buying wheel sets for my roadster. Being that today is the summer solstice, I guess a new style for the summer season is in order.

This set was made by Speed Star of Japan in the mid 80's, branded as Longchamp XR4. They were not imported to the US until they were re-introduced by Suska Brain 5 years ago. Even those are no longer available. This set is the original Speed Star, circa 1985.

I know that last year I was throwing around offset specs as if I knew what I was talking about. Well, My specs were in error. I came to this once I came to the realization that the object was to fit the TIRE within the fenders and NOT the wheel. In other words, the actual difference between a 195/60 tire on a 6'' rim, and the same tire on a 6.5'' rim is only 3mm on each side, at the widest point of the sidewall bulge. This opened the range of what would fit greatly.

Even by my most conservative estimates, I really wasn't sure these would work, until my test drive an hour ago. Much to my happiness, there is no rub. I still don't quite believe that, and you might doubt it too, once you've seen how the fill the fenders. They are 14X6.5 @ +5.5

I bought these from my car show buddy, Arnell for $400.00. I spent another $580 for straightening, de anodizing and polishing. Thanks to the wheelsmiths at Pico Wheel Service, they are now perfected.

http://images17.fotki.com/v326/photos/4 ... mps-vi.jpg

http://images17.fotki.com/v325/photos/4 ... ose-vi.jpg

http://images17.fotki.com/v9/photos/4/4 ... ish-vi.jpg
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

alving wrote:An excellent wheel choice...but in 15 or16" sizes only. They look too "doughboy" with the small center section and thick sidewalls.
Sorry, I don't have an SR20 beefcake to sling that much wheel around. :lol: :lol: I'll keep my 11.5 lb 14'' wheels
alving wrote:I like the previous setup much better.
Which ones? the Advan A3A's or the Hayashi Street II's?
alving wrote:Kudos to the find and restoration...those are super rare, but did you get those center caps! have you tested for rub on hard corners with undulations?
Still looking for the caps. untill then, I'm going for the Drifto capless look. Yea, I knocked them around pretty severly on my test run, including the "full tilt boogie" up the "Goat Trail". If they didn't rub there, they're not going to!
Cherry Blossom

Post by Cherry Blossom »

Very Nice! You have great taste in wheels.
I think 14" wheels are perfect size for our roadsters. Anything over 15" just looks out of proportion on such a small car. Unless of course you are making some power and you need the extra grip. :wink:
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Vic,
It must be Wheel Day in the cosmos. Nice looking wheels.
I don't like the new huge wheel look that you see on so many cars today.
They give the cars that "covered wagon" look-big wheels, big spokes!

Linda
68 1600
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

them's purty sonny!

Post by FergO2k »

Nice job Vic, I like the "dish", and the polishing is perfection.
We need to borrow Steven's video mount for one of your "full tilt boogie up the Goat trail" video sessions. I think many would find it VERY entertaining.
FergO
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

Got Dish?
Yup!
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

Brian, Sir you most definitely "Got Dish". Those Revos look awesome! Please share the specs, are they as deep in the rear?

Fergo, I made one. Due to tecnhical difficulties, it's upside down!
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

Vic, Very, very cool look! It's nice to see something other than panasports. :D
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

Victor_laury wrote: are they as deep in the rear?
Yes they are. The rear fenders aren't stock anymore though.
At some point, I'll flare the rears like Craig Hooper's car.
project_timemachine
Roadster Fanatic

Post by project_timemachine »

Oh man!!! I want those rims for Christmas!!! Santa where are you? :D
Steven
'65 Fairlady Racer

"Life is like a box of used Datsun parts, you'll never know what you're gonna get..."

http://www.projecttm.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenflor
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Got Dish?

Post by fj20spl311 »

Victor,
Now Lower that puppy another inch. :lol:

PS: Started working on my FJ Turbo again, maybe I can make some of your runs...

Phil
SPL 311 FJ20
SRL 311 FJ20 Turbo Project
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Must be a wheel thing, just spent two hours masking and an hour painting ONE wheel, gonna be a long weekend. I'll post some pics.

BTW, Victor, I think there might be a 12 step program for this wheel addiction thing.

On the bright side, it's like the wheel preview on your car at the wheel and tire sites. If you wait long enough and check the archives, there is a photo of almost any wheel you can imagine on a roadster.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit