What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by Gregs672000 »

Yesterday I checked the pressure of my new electric fuel pump, installed to replace the same old one just in case it's acting up. All of them are the same (#42s... they are simply re-badged). The #42s are for carburetor engines, with a pressure of 2-3.5psi max. Some carbs, like my Dellortos, want pressures around 1.5 -2.5 per an expert I've been reading about on a Lotus website. However, both my fuel pressure gauges found the pump putting out 5.5-6psi, confirmed with multiple tests. That would likely overwhelm the needle and seat (perhaps on other carbs like Weber and SU?). Fuel level on the carb is critical and can change how it functions. So, I went back and installed my old dial type pressure regulator and rechecked... dialed down to an indicated 1.5 psi setting on the dial found 2.5psi pressure at the carb, so it's not accurate either, but it does work.
So, FYI to those using these or any other electric pump... verify pressure, and don't trust settings, check with a guage!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

Finally installed the "A" I lost a while ago. Added extra clips to the other letters.
Ralph

Rolling restoration of white 1968 SPL311
Zer0Evo
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Zer0Evo »

Found a new (?) source to replace my rear axle U-bolts. They had to custom bend them but 2-5/8" on a 3/8" diameter fits just like OEM (3" hole-to-hole). Super reasonable price and fast shipping - http://www.stengelbros.com. If anyone else needs some just drop them a note and say it's for a Datsun roadster.
Emile

67 1600 - Work in progress
06 Evo IX - Daily driver
Raleigh, NC
bajaroadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by bajaroadster »

before.jpg
after.jpg
Waiting on my replacement brake master cylinder so took the opportunity to clean up the surrounding area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

Checked the wheel alignment for camber, caster and toe-in using my newly purchased tool .

Everything was pretty well spot on to the records as provided by the alignment shop that had set it up a couple of years ago.
Apparently I haven't hit enough curbs and pot holes yet to throw it off. :wink:

Cheers
Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
70MTRoadster
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by 70MTRoadster »

Out of frustration I Bought a used 69 2000 speedometer cable off Ebay today. In trying to make the 20 tooth carrier work I had the car sitting on the lift lowered down onto jack stands so I could start it and put in gear while observing the end of the disconnected speedometer cable....it rotates! So the gear at the trans is working, the cable is working but no speedo...? I can reach up and turn the back of the speedo with my fingers and get the needle to move...weird. Pulled the 20 tooth (perfect shape...no stripped gear teeth) and reinstalled the original blue 18 tooth gear/carrier.....no speedo....bizarre. Will try the used 69 cable and see what happens.
1968 510 Wagon
1970 Roadster 1600/U20/5 sp. swap
1972 510 4 dr. vg30e/5 sp. ricky racer
1971 510 shell behind the shop, r.i.p.

I drive a Roadster or 510 almost every day!
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

attach the transmission end to a drill and see how much the speedo works.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

As THE 'guy' who reclocked the carrier for the pinion, it was not more than about 15-20 degrees counter clockwise, just enough to lift/raise the pinion gear away from the transmission. 180 would likely raise the gear WAY above the transmission output.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
70MTRoadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 70MTRoadster »

Thanks for the reply. Everything was working prior to this fiasco, just reading faster than actual speed by 10 mph, maybe a bit more. I had thought of doing what you suggest with the drill...now I will as I have the other cable coming. The diameter of the 20 tooth gear is so much greater that is why I did what I did. The gear teeth on the blue gear only protrude from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock so I set the red 20 tooth to that protrusion/orientation. In looking into the trans hole, it appears the drive gear is ABOVE the gear, not below. BUT, you did this right and I must be doing something terribly wrong so will try what you say. Question is, why did not everything go back to working when I reinstalled the original gear and housing?
1968 510 Wagon

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I crawled under the dash to address an annoying noise from the speedo. After all, do we know of a better way to be intimate with our roadsters? It is much easier to work under the dash with the seat removed but what I needed to do was not going to take that long, so I rolled my stool up to the door and leaned in and under. The speedo came out OK, and finding no way to lube it externally I got my special oil that had gotten my clock going and introduced a dozen or so drops in through where the cable attaches. I started the car and ran it a little and the noise seemed to be gone. I wicked some oil back out along with plenty of black contaminate, since of course I didn't want to do damage by over oiling. I then decided to give it a better test than I cared to do with it on jack stands, by unhooking the cable from the tranny and feeding it up over the windshield and turning it with a drill. It was silent up to 40 MPH, so it appears that there was just a dry input bearing. while I was in there I installed a new twistie, and also investigated my non working new temperature gauge, which turned out to be a disconnected wire. At least I hope that it was the problem. This afternoon I will be applying doe skin to the interior of the front roof frame bow in preparation for the new roof installation. The hot sunny day that I need is coming tomorrow.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
70MTRoadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 70MTRoadster »

OK....figured it out.....finally. I amaze myself sometimes as to how stupid I can be. In pulling the other engine/trans out to replace it with this U20, I disconnected everything but the speedo cable...initially. The combo would not come out so I checked, found my error, disconnected the speedo cable and out she came. Put back together and everything worked. Until this adventure. What was staring me in the face and I did not recognize until today while under there with my drill driver is that the black cable housing had pulled out of its crimped on metal part! So I worked it back in there and of course got the necessary cable end protrusion so that it would engage the trans/gear/carrier. Took it out for a spin and of course it works just fine now. I have screwed with this so much that I'm taking a break from it for a while. I am thankful I did not screw up my 20 tooth gear and will reinstall it at a later date after I have lived down my stupidity...if that is even possible. It's a beautiful blue Big Sky day here near Bozeman, MT so we will take the roadster for a drive.
1968 510 Wagon

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

70MTRoadster wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am OK....figured it out.....finally. I amaze myself sometimes as to how stupid I can be. In pulling the other engine/trans out to replace it with this U20, I disconnected everything but the speedo cable...initially. The combo would not come out so I checked, found my error, disconnected the speedo cable and out she came. Put back together and everything worked. Until this adventure. What was staring me in the face and I did not recognize until today while under there with my drill driver is that the black cable housing had pulled out of its crimped on metal part! So I worked it back in there and of course got the necessary cable end protrusion so that it would engage the trans/gear/carrier. Took it out for a spin and of course it works just fine now. I have screwed with this so much that I'm taking a break from it for a while. I am thankful I did not screw up my 20 tooth gear and will reinstall it at a later date after I have lived down my stupidity...if that is even possible. It's a beautiful blue Big Sky day here near Bozeman, MT so we will take the roadster for a drive.
Another reason to use headlamps instead of drop lights, LOL.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

Got my center console finished up and installed. Was able to source a replacement lock from a member on the forum and then re-key it myself to my door key. Disassembled and painted the metal parts, and installed Dean's "skins" over the base and the lid. Took patience, lots of clamps, trimming and such to get an acceptable fit to the carcass I had to work with. The shift plate sits up higher than normal with the skin over the base; so much so that the tabs on the rear of the shift plate won't engage with the metal slots on the base. So I had to improvise and place two small screws to hold it in place. Sourced a very low profile USB plug for the cig lighter which sits flush with the top surface. Should be getting Dean's vinyl shift boot shortly to really finish it off.
IMG_7519.jpeg
IMG_7517.jpeg
And of course, in the warm San Jose evening last night, went out for a post-sunset drive!

-jt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Looks great. What paint did you use?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
70-1600
Site Supporter

Post by 70-1600 »

Linda:

Paint: Krylon K01403 Metallic Spray Paint, Brilliant Metallic, Dull Aluminum
Clear coat after paint: Krylon K05131307 ColorMaster Acrylic Crystal Clear, Satin

I ordered both from Amazon. $8.96 for the paint; $11.20 for the clear

-jt
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA