Wierd idle?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67 1/2 1600

Wierd idle?

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I have a problem with my carbs once more. I adjusted the mixture because it was off by alot one was lean and the other rich. So now I have them both even, even air flow, but my idle is high, about 1,500, for about 3 seconds, then drops to 1,000, within 3 seconds too then 500, then shuts off. Could I be too rich? I have Keiths ADQ's. I also beleive my oil tops dont have marvel mystery in them. Could that help if I put the oil?
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Your plugs will tell if you are running rich (black) or lean (white, grey or somewhere in between) You are looking for a nice light brown. As for the idle, you need the oil in the carbs, that will cause some very strange things to happen. Start with the oil in the carbs, and go from there.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
RockFish
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RockFish »

Maybe throttle cable is tight, return springs loose, linkage binding a little ? This might explain the 1500 followed by a drop. Maybe in an effort to correct it you've adjusted the idle screws so low that when it finally settles down the car stalls ?
Cochecita
Roadster Nut

Post by Cochecita »

Good morning,
I was perusing the tech to see whats been going on and thought I'd add my two cents. If you haven't gotten it fixed yet. I had an issue with enginge racing that was caused by the vacumn advance hose not letting the linkage drop all the way. I'd check for some binding or a stuck choke/ throttle cable that was discussed earlier

A couple years ago, I also spent about two weeks trying to diagnose a carb issue that turned out to be a loose wire in the distributor. It's worth a look and I know mine coincidently appeared right after I tried to adjust the carbs, it did all sorts of weird stuff at idle. Good luck.

Eddie