Hood that cracks.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

StiOls
Forum Newb

Hood that cracks.

Post by StiOls »

The paint in my hood is cracking from the scoop and out to both sides. I think it's because two parts of sheet metal is join together there, and some movement here are cracing up the paint above. Have anyone had the same problem? Or have a idea on how to easily fix this?
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I have the same problem with the hood on my car. I never noticed until someone pointed it out. Nice paint with a damn crack on there.
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

Almost every car I have looked at has this problem. Even some really nice restos have the problem. It is indeed an area where they join the hood, and originally did lead fill over the seam. When I recently painted mine, I used a produst called Metal2Metal, which is a 2 part epoxy with aluminum as the filler. This was supposed to my best bet. It lasted about 6 months before the line reappeared. Do to other issues I had with my paint, I am redoing the hood. I have elected to grind out all of the lead fill and fully weld the seam, then do traditional filler over that. We'll see how this repair works.

Another typical place for paint cracks is at the corners of the trunk opening. Many nice cars have cracks there, as did mine before the new paint. The metal2metal, so far, has held up in this area. It is another area where they seamed the body together and did lead fill.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

Post by impinhigh »

I had the same problem before a respray and then about 4 months after the respray. Then after the total numbskull move of dropping my hood I had it repainted and the bodyman cleaned the corrosion from btween the over lapped skins and filled with brazed material. 2 year and no cracking of the paint.
Matt Jacquet
Gilroy, Ca
68 Spl311 Stock-Silver
68 Spl311 Stock-White-Gone to a good home...
:(