What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:56 am
Lorna c wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:04 pm got another second car (my son bought my Lexus) now I can park the datsun and get the interior started ! I'm holding back on driving it so i can get some things done without rushing it . . its hard but my new Mercedes helps some .. the datsun is going to the garage (when its cleaned out enough) never thought I'd say that but theirs no way to drive it and fix interior too . I'm reluctant to park it and strip it though . how do u guys do it ? years these things are parked not driven .. I'm going nuts just considering parking mine . haha

It just depends on how gullible you are. In January of 2015 I told myself that I was going to do a quick prep of some rusty areas and get it painted in June and on the road in July. Well, myself believed me and I tore into it, and finally got her on the road this last August.

that's a long time for a couple of spots . I hope this won't happen to me . but I also want to pull my motor out and put it back knowing what I know now . maybe I'll have gaskets this time ... hahaha
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Panasports are cool and all, but they’re not Watanabe cool.

Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
bajaroadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by bajaroadster »

One thing leads to another. What I thought was going to be a quick 20 minute job adjusting the front bumper of my recently purchased 1600 turned into a bit more time. While under the car I noticed that the bumper mounting brackets had some peeling paint and surface rust. Off comes the bumper and brackets. To the parts store for wire grinding wheel and paint. Down to metal and several coats of rust stop paint. My 20 minute job has now become two days. Good news is it all looks great and I had a good time tinkering with the car without much expense. And one less area to worry about.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Well this is what happens when you finally decide to put in your new interior and find air conditioned floors and wheel wells. It is now a full winter project.

IMG_2592.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Bought a plasma cutter on special from Central Welding and got my chrome back today.

IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 stroker, almost done.
bajaroadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by bajaroadster »

Replaced rear brake cylinders and shoes. Had to replace one of the brake lines as the fitting was rounded off. Local parts store had hard lines that were either slightly too short or about 4 inches too long. Not a lot of choices for parts stores 800 miles south of the border in Baja Mexico. With some creative bending I was able to use the longer one. New cylinder and new line but I have a very slight leak at the connection. Rechecked tightness and made sure it wasn't cross threaded but still have a slight leak. Any suggestions on ways to cure this? Im going to order replacement lines but this will be my temporary set up until I can find somebody coming my way from the states to bring them down. Shipping here is very cost prohibitive.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

I would try a little Teflon tape on the threads.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I would take a close look at the flare on the end of the lines you purchased. Make sure it is a match to what you removed. A leak at the brakes is not something you want to seal with Teflon tape, it is a high pressure system. Something is not sealing the flare to the mating surface. Take the time to clean it out carefully, check for nicks in the line or mating surface, or rust etc., If the lines are correct, and the fitting is the correct length etc., it should not leak through the threads.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

You may have the wrong thread on the brake line. Roadster brake lines are not metric.
Last edited by Curtis on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66 stroker, almost done.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Greased the zerks, fortunately they all worked. A little messy.....Of course ran out of grease almost at the end so a quick reload of Mobil 1 synthetic-
Noticed the upper ball joint boots starting to go, now I have to figure out how to replace them.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

bajaroadster wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:40 pm Replaced rear brake cylinders and shoes. Had to replace one of the brake lines as the fitting was rounded off. Local parts store had hard lines that were either slightly too short or about 4 inches too long. Not a lot of choices for parts stores 800 miles south of the border in Baja Mexico. With some creative bending I was able to use the longer one. New cylinder and new line but I have a very slight leak at the connection. Rechecked tightness and made sure it wasn't cross threaded but still have a slight leak. Any suggestions on ways to cure this? Im going to order replacement lines but this will be my temporary set up until I can find somebody coming my way from the states to bring them down. Shipping here is very cost prohibitive.
I didn't touch the rear lines on mine because I could see that both the lines and cylinders had been done recently. In doing the rest of it though there were two different length fittings for the flare connectors. A "short" won't seal into a "long" hole.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

It should also be noted that 510 rear cylinders fit our cars, and are WAY cheaper and readily available, but are M10x1. I recently put them on my car.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

975363F6-6FA2-44D6-AE87-B072A6F686EE.jpeg
New chrome bezel for my combo-gauge, compliments of Jon Frampton!
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I installed 2 rear clips I got from Linsurp, John. A small job but very satisfying when it is cosmetics.
Before:
15746394333955.jpg

After
15746394652836.jpg

Thx John!

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
eye
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by eye »

Finished the mount for the "spinner"
projects at 329art instagram
more junk 329art.com