Electric fuel pump on a Mikuni U20-resolved

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Electric fuel pump on a Mikuni U20-resolved

Post by 2mAn »

Just curious what setup people are using for their Mikuni carb'd U20 cars?

Shop said my pump was bad and suggested I go to an electric pump. After installing the pump he is now telling me that the front carb is leaking(??). Carbs were rebuilt in 2017. After talking with Will, we believe that the (I'm guessing) Carter fuel pump is overpowering the pump. Carter runs in the 4-8 range.

I'm thinking that the solution is either a fuel pressure regulator, or going back to the mechanical pump, which may be bad...

I'm dying not driving this car and this dilemma is making matters worse. I hate taking my cars to shops because I always feel like I get taken advantage of and here we are again. big bill and a car that I still cant drive
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Electric fuel pump on a Mikuni U20

Post by Linda »

Skip Miller in Pasadena at Miller Sports and Imports can always give a reliable diagnosis. A long time Datsun mechanic with a ton of excellent recomendations from customers.
Also hate getting ripped off by mechanics, and it has happened plenty of times.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

I guess thanks, but the last time I reached out to him to help me he seemed hesitant, so I tried another shop who was closer. I’m not going to send the car to another shop, let’s just say my budget for paying other people’s labor is now dried up.

But back to the original question... anyone help with that
Simon
Current Cars:
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

The Nissan shop manual (page 51) specifies 3.4lb/sq.in to 4.26lb/sq.in @700rpm regardless of carby type. Plenty of good, reliable choices out there for low pressure pumps that would not require use of a pressure regulator.

Good hunting.

Jon
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

jhayden wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 am The Nissan shop manual (page 51) specifies 3.4lb/sq.in to 4.26lb/sq.in @700rpm regardless of carby type. Plenty of good, reliable choices out there for low pressure pumps that would not require use of a pressure regulator.

Good hunting.

Jon
Thank you Jon

Is it possible that this pump (to be confirmed later) is running more than 4 1/4 psi and is causing the front carb to leak ?

Ive read that others have used the Carter pump and havent needed a regulator, but maybe the SUs or later Mikunis can handle a few extra psi, while the early Mikunis that I have arent able ?

(I realize that this probably should be in the tech discussions rather than the quick / stupid question section, feel free to move if you can/ care)
Simon
Current Cars:
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

1-3lbs is about all you want to run. I use a generic "Mr Gasket" #42 which puts out 1-3.5lbs, which I have confirmed in line. Available at Jeggs and the like, probably local too. I have had one fail in 5 years, cheap enough to buy two to have a back up (which I had when mine failed on Mt Rainier 3 yrs ago). It is mounted just in front of the right rear wheel on the frame. They need to be pushers, not pullers so mount it close to the tank. They make a little noise. I too had concerns that fuel pressure was overwhelming the needle valve so I put in a dial type pressure regulator set to 2lbs. I think my changes in fuel ratios noted on my wideband at idle were actually due to an intake leak, but I plan to rebuild the Dells and will replace the needle valves then. There's a plate made for a chevy that blocks off the hole for the fuel pump that works perfect with stock studs/bolts.

Dave Premo told me of a nissan pump he uses but they're a lot more expensive... quiet though.

Hope that helps!

P.s. there are other Mr Gasket pumps that put out more pressure so check carefully (#12 puts out 7lbs... too much).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Gregs672000 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:34 am 1-3lbs is about all you want to run. I use a generic "Mr Gasket" #42 which puts out 1-3.5lbs, which I have confirmed in line. Available at Jeggs and the like, probably local too. I have had one fail in 5 years, cheap enough to buy two to have a back up (which I had when mine failed on Mt Rainier 3 yrs ago). It is mounted just in front of the right rear wheel on the frame. They need to be pushers, not pullers so mount it close to the tank. They make a little noise. I too had concerns that fuel pressure was overwhelming the needle valve so I put in a dial type pressure regulator set to 2lbs. I think my changes in fuel ratios noted on my wideband at idle were actually due to an intake leak, but I plan to rebuild the Dells and will replace the needle valves then. There's a plate made for a chevy that blocks off the hole for the fuel pump that works perfect with stock studs/bolts.

Dave Premo told me of a nissan pump he uses but they're a lot more expensive... quiet though.

Hope that helps!

P.s. there are other Mr Gasket pumps that put out more pressure so check carefully (#12 puts out 7lbs... too much).
Just spoke with Miki (of M's Factory, the shop in question) and he confirmed the pump used is a Mr Gasket pump that isnt pushing much psi, like 4psi max. Still planning on getting the car this weekend, we'll see what happens between now and then.
Simon
Current Cars:
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Its most likely simply an issue with the one carb, mis-adjisted, trash in the needle valve etc, not the pump. Doubt the pump is making tons of pressure.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!