New guy here, found a 311 this week, might buy it. Need help

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

surfguygrif

New guy here, found a 311 this week, might buy it. Need help

Post by surfguygrif »

Hey guys, brand new to the forum and here's my first post. As I've been a an avid car guy for many years I got a call from an old freind who is a butler at a very wealthy familys home in town here, he thought I might be interested in something in the garage... They are selling the house and in the garage is a 1968 or 69 blue 311 roadster with 30K miles org. miles. It in Rhode Island, it's bone stock, and in good shape. Save for the starting of surface rust here and there and a bit more rust on the drivers side lower fender.

This was just a summer house for this family and they had a few cars in there that the father used to blast around with during the summer months. It ran fine when they parked it in 81 or 82 and it's sat there since under a cover and up on blocks.
Long story short, I'll most likely end up with the car this week for cheap money. What are the normal things to look for or expect to repair in this type of situation?
I expect to hand crank the motor after doing all the proper fluid changes etc.., blead out the brakes, tune the carbs, replace tires and other normal stuff thats you'd do to any car. Are there any 311 specific ghosts to know of off the bat?

I look forward to having a new summer project, and will most likely be tapping this board for lots of help along the way!
Thanks, Adam
surfguygrif

Oh yea...

Post by surfguygrif »

Oh yea, its a 2000. And it looks like it has twin solex carbs, and a soft top with a tonnu cover.
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

mmmmmm, calipers might be froze, master cylinder may need a rebuild kit, motor mounts/tranny mount may be brittle(ask me how I know!).... other than that stuff I cant think of anything, but im sure someone will chime in!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Any car that has been put up like that will need the normal brakes, clutch hydraulics, fuel line attention. Take heart though. I drove one 2 weeks ago that had last driven back in April of 1979. They are hearty cars!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Wow solex 2000 what do you know! Awsome always check for the rusty fender panels, might be rusted out and the wheel wheels. Oh yeah make sure it has floors too! Nice catch! You will be in green if it turns out to be a 67 2000!!!

:lol:
surfguygrif

Post by surfguygrif »

Yea at first I thought it was a 67 but from the various online sites I was able to determain the year. I looked at it again today and it has a SOLID frame and underpinings. Just your average light surface rust on the various parts. I might consider doing it right and restore it properly. Why not right? I dont need it to drive or anything. I'd like to sand blast it all and do the same full POR 15 primer/coatings I did to my 61 Willys Jeep. It's been 9 years on that and no rust has come back!

Where can I find a replacement fender? Whats a good street/ light SCCA pro solo set up regarding wheels/tires/shocks/sways? I have a CRX si I solo'd with for years with good Bilstiens, Eibach springs and kumho 15" tires.

I thinking I want to get a set of 15" Panasports and going with kind of a low classic street look.
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

There's a what-to-do-to-get-running-after-the-car-has-sat-for-x-years article in the Technical Info section:

http://www.311s.org/tech/resto/restart.html

It sounds like you may be scoring The Killer Deal. Regardless of your experience/skills/lack of skills, I highly recommend just getting it running and drive it around to blow out the cobwebs BEFORE you go crazy ripping it apart and customizing.

You'll have a much better idea of what ya want to do.

My two centavos. 8)
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
surfguygrif

Post by surfguygrif »

OK, bought it!! What the hell did I get my self into?? Anyway the rebuild will start soon. I started post above about fiberglass parts that I'd love all your feed back on.
Thanks again!!
Primm69

Post by Primm69 »

Just make sure you let us all know when you get your second Sporty!!

:D
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Post pics of the new prize!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!