low gas pedal

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Maggie

low gas pedal

Post by Maggie »

My gas pedal seem to be to low and hard. Is this normal?

Maggie
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

The gas petal has a return spring. Remove the throttle cable from the pedal end and make sure it travels freely and comes up all the way with the spring. Sometimes the cross shaft gets bent when the engine is removed or installed and could be sticking.
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Hmmm, mine does not have a spring on it. I'll go to the local parts store and get one. Does it have to be a certain kind? I'm hoping any spring ment for the pedal will work. The pedal is about 1 inch from the floor and very hard to push.

Maggie
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

The spring is right above the gas petal. My petal has about an inch of travel before it hits the stop. I'd sort out the hard to press problem first. With the cable unhooked it should move freely. If it does with the cable unhooked then you might have a cable or linkage problem.
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

I had the same problem with my solexes. The pedal wouldnt have much movement and it would be hard. First was my linkage was crap, second was my pedal had alot of play and i could move it forward and back until it hit its spot where it would pull. So I put 2 washers and that helped tightened it now I have longer pedal feel. Put my SU's back on and it was smoooooooooth
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

My car has the su carbs. I'll check the linkage and put a spring on the pedal. I hope that will do it. The pedal only has about an inch before it hits the floor.

Maggie