High windshield speaker removal

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

69ner
Roadster Fanatic

High windshield speaker removal

Post by 69ner »

hey guys well i got around to installing a headunit o in my roadster. The problem im having is the one speaker under the glove box. I tried unbolting the four screws on the cap/box with no luck. I found out that mine is bolted up through the firewall from the engine. The problem here is that i can get the one bolt off, but the other mystery bolt is a tapping type that was pretty much drilled through the firewall, how, i dont know cause the screw is under the actual speaker box where u cant get to it. Well anyway if theres another way or suggestion it would be appreciated.

Rick
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Rick, you gonna put a different speaker in the stock speaker box location? Id say just buy some 6x9 speakers in boxes in the rear shelf. But then youd lose space. No idea on howd you get the stock box off though. I put in a In dash in my car so now I can watch T.V. when im stuck in traffic 8) .
69ner
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 69ner »

yeah man, actually the radio is mounted inside the glove box but with some cutting i could of put that thing vertical on the center consol. I was hesitant to start cutting cause i didnt know if it was hard to get another radio mount for the highwindshields....im still debating...it would look pretty sick if i did it that way though, we'll see. :P
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

If you mount it sideways in the center console, the CD player won't work. Also, you'll have to cut out the heater hoses that run behind it, because the stock deck is really shallow.
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
69ner
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 69ner »

Hey Joe thanks for ur response....i lost sleep last night thinking about it cause i wanted it mounted there sooo badly....thanks for clearing things up! Now for the speaker box...how de we remove that darn cover or box? :?
excalibur
Roadster Fanatic

Post by excalibur »

Removing the box is simply a case of a proper application of high explosives.:twisted: Just note that I claim no responsiblity for "improper use" :roll:

Seriously though, I have been wondering how to get that goofy thing out myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Joe

'68 1600
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

The speaker is attached to a mount by 2 small screws or bolts. They are located on each side of the speaker box. Once you remove the speaker from the mount you have 2 nuts to remove from inside the fire wall. They are located behind the coil area. Once the nuts are removed from the mount studs, the speaker mount will come out... Bill