Opinions wanted engine bay paint.

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Opinions wanted engine bay paint.

Post by nismou20 »

So, I know it comes down to personal tastes but would like your opinions on Granite look trunk paint. My bay is somewhat crappy with imperfections with old paint runs and I’ll never be able to find a matching red in a rattle can. I don’t know the original red color of my car either as it’s a more orangey red. That said I’ve seen engine bays done nicely with durable trunk paint in light gray that’s speckled. I realize that stripping it in the future will be a pia but it won’t happen in my lifetime. What are your thoughts? Flat black is pretty boring. I do plan on painting my block a shade of blue closer to Pontiac blue or Gunmetal. I’ve seen 510,Zs done this way and they look pleasant. The gray you see in the bay is just a primer. Taking a poll.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Opinions wanted engine bay paint.

Post by theunz »

Personally I like the bay to match the body. Have you considered going to a paint shop and having them do a color match? They can put any color you want in a spray can, and the cost is reasonable. If you don't want to go that route than I would use a gloss paint. Your idea of the granite look to hide the imperfections does seem to have some merit. Another option would be bed liner, some of those can be tinted your choice of color.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

theunz wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:41 pm Personally I like the bay to match the body.
Ditto on that. I don't think it has to be an exact match. Close enough is good.
Depending on your engine and carbs and cleanliness, there isn't a whole lot to see in there anyway in my opinion. If there is a drastic color change between the body and the engine bay, it may look more like an "Earl Scheib" paint job. (For those who aren't old enough, Earl Scheib would paint your entire car for $89 back in the day. I think even less when they had specials.) He didn't paint the engine bay so it would always be different.
I think you should paint it close to original color, not to be "more original" but rather that it may look "more funny" later (funny in a bad way) if you don't.
Mine is "close enough" and it's good enough for me. With all the clutter in my engine bay, I can't see much anyway.
Good luck on whatever you do. It's your car. Make it, make you, more happy!
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
dads311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by dads311 »

Greg, I remember Earl Scheib would paint any car any color for $29.95. Does that make me an old guy?
Nismou20, I painted my engine compartment body color and I agree with the previous posts, but that being said, it is yours and if you like what you have seen on other cars by all means do it. You are the one that has to be happy with it.
Mike
rebuilt dads 67.5 1600
1952 GMC 302ci 6cyl w/cam and 3 deuces
1965 Mustang (Wife's)
1971 Nova (Son Claimed)
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

So my opinion is not to use spatter paint as they don't have any real resistance to fuel or oil, although touch up would be easy if something were spilled. Also, again IMHO, spatter paint/bedliner/flat black just give the appearance of a "cheap" job. I think with how nice the rest of your car is, and the fact you have the engine out and are doing all the work to cover the brake lines and such, find a gloss engine enamel rattle can that is as close as you can get to match the existing paint. It wont be perfect, but I would think it would be a world better than trunk paint and have better resistance to fuels and still be able to be touched up if needed.
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Tom,
Check with an auto paint store about how big a piece they need to put under their machine to produce a color match, then have them put the paint in spray cans. You might need to call several places. As I recall it has to be a flat piece. Maybe the cowl could be brought in and they can catch the corner. With the excellent matching they can do the engine bay will look great.
West Valley Auto Color Canoga Park did spray cans for me years ago. It is likely still enamel and should hold up well. There is also a PPG Distributor site in San Fernando that said they can do color match via machine, not sure on cans.
You probably need about 4 cans which could be their minimal order. I don’t think they are thrilled to do it versus their usual sales, but just let them know that is what you want and you know it can be done
Tin foil for masking is great. Some primer first I think too.
If you need some help let me know
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

dads311 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:55 pm Greg, I remember Earl Scheib would paint any car any color for $29.95.
Ha ha ha. I pulled the $89 price off of Wikipedia. I thought it was less. I think I remember $49.99, so you may be a little older than me. Ha ha ha.
I saw a car one at night with one of Earl's paint jobs. The owner was quite proud of it. It did look great from 10 feet away in the dark. Ha ha ha. Once you looked up close, even in the dark...Yikes!
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
Nissanman
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

When I painted my SP310, my tutor advised me to use a mix of the body colour [Cherry Red] with clear coat for the engine bay.
The strategy was that you can't successfully polish the engine bay once the hardware is all reinstalled, so the mix provides a permanent gloss to the engine bay area.
It wipes clean easily and sure enough comes back to a nice shiny appearance.
I know modern cars use a dull grey or gun metal for the engine bay but body colour is a nice detail IMO :)
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I wanted a nice looking engine bay so I prepped and painted same as the outside. I think that with the living conditions for paint under the hood that you want it as glossy and tough as possible. You can't get any kind of toughness or longevity out of a rattle can and you can't clean well with all of the stuff in there so it will look crappy soon. With the amount of prepping you are doing I would get the custom color by the paint code which is easy with Datsun. I got a can recently for another car and it was $20.00. You can then clear coat over it and have a tough easy to maintain finish. Here is mine. 666 Datsun base and clear
IMG_1276.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Benjamin:

"PREVAL." :wink:

Jon
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

All good inputs! As Mark pointed out spatter may not hold up to the elements fuel, brake fluid, etc. Still like it as it will hide the imperfections but I’m reading reviews that even under wet conditions that it may wipe off. Not good. I’m going to buy a can and do some experiments to see how good/bad it is.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

however - always body colour
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
greydog

Post by greydog »

Personally, I like semigloss black. Easy to keep looking nice, easy to spray and makes block colors and bare metal parts look grea
Dant
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

My experience with the splatter paint is that it mottles and comes off when it gets even mildly wet for any length of time. It's trunk paint for a reason, I would not use it under the hood. If you want a similar look, get one of the enamel splatter paints, or hammered paints. That said, I also prefer body colored.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I like even crappy body color paint over other choices.
If you want a rough texture, I would think bed liner paint might hold up.

I would suggest you go to a automotive paint/body shop supplier.
They mostly will let you take color sampler out to your car to get a fair match.
Red fades so any close match should be good.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB