Re-gilding outside mirrors

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

vinechoy
Roadster Fanatic

Re-gilding outside mirrors

Post by vinechoy »

My original mirror and spare were unusable because the silver was tarnishing off the backs of the mirrors.
After carefully prying back the metal holding in the glass, I was able to strip the silver off with bleach.
This was followed by tinning the glass and then applying two layers of silver using the Mini Silver Kit from Angel Gilding.
I applied black backing paint to stop tarnishing and protect the silver and reattached the glass to the metal with epoxy

Total cost less thant $100 Cdn. Quote for glass shop to resilver $240 minimum

Viney
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Re-gilding outside mirrors

Post by 23yrRebuild »

Wow !...nicely done. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I didn't realize that was even a possibility....Something to learn everyday !
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Always good to find a money saving resto tip. Good work! Were you able to reattach the metal frame without ripples?
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
vinechoy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by vinechoy »

There are some ripples in the metal frame.
23yrRebuild

Post by 23yrRebuild »

I've found that sometimes metal car mirrors aren't "crimped" around the glass, and that the glass is glued in, and can be easily removed by sitting it face down in a suitable solvent such as acetone or lacquer thinner. I've removed the glass from several, early roadster dash mirrors this way, to have the metal re-chromed.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

If you can "de-glue" a mirror couldn't you just get a piece reglued in by a glass shop?
Though it is impressive you figured out the process, Viney......Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
23yrRebuild

Post by 23yrRebuild »

Linda wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:57 pm If you can "de-glue" a mirror couldn't you just get a piece reglued in by a glass shop?
I tried, and had no luck with any of the local glass shops being able to cut a new shape from a replacement mirror blank purchased from my FLAP store...both places I went to told me they were able to "nibble" out a rough shape, but unable to hone, or grind the final contours because the particular machine that does that, wasn't working...there's more to the story for one of the shops, that was an extremely irritating experience. This was way before Dean was able to provide aftermarket repros for the early models...