ACOTE's 68 2000

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Re: ACOTE's 68 2000

Post by 2mAn »

richard wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:56 am We got 27 participants for the meeting in Monschau.
They are from UK, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg and even USA ;)
Looking forward to meet you 8-9 june!
That would be so cool...

BTW is this going to be you ACOTE???

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31307

Its the right color! haha
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
ACote
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by ACote »

2mAn wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:06 pm
richard wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:56 am We got 27 participants for the meeting in Monschau.
They are from UK, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg and even USA ;)
Looking forward to meet you 8-9 june!
That would be so cool...

BTW is this going to be you ACOTE???

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31307

Its the right color! haha
I love that game, bought it just to drive the roadster lol.
And You bet I will be! It's less than 2 hours away! I won't do any full on race but I hope they have parade laps or something I could do. I need to get some better tires while in the states.
I'm very excited and will take a ton of pictures wherever they'll let me go! I'll find some good spots at the car show.

Richard,
I was over the moon when I saw a close by roadster meet. I'm making sure all the essentials are taken care of before shipping.

I'll probably PM you with a bunch of questions later lol.
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

ACOTE, just look on their website for the Tourist Days. Its about $25 per lap. Ive gone twice and both times I did 4 laps. Its totally worth it and just remember that its not the game so you cant just hit 'reset' if you crash. I had just as much in the 1.6L VW Polo I took the first time as I did the second time in a brand new BMW M2
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

2mAn wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm ACOTE, just look on their website for the Tourist Days. Its about $25 per lap. Ive gone twice and both times I did 4 laps. Its totally worth it and just remember that its not the game so you cant just hit 'reset' if you crash. I had just as much in the 1.6L VW Polo I took the first time as I did the second time in a brand new BMW M2
That's awesome! One thing I can knock off the bucket list early! A reset button would be nice, especially for all the embarrassing things I've done :lol:
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Fresh off out of the blasters, they had a plastic media that cleaned them up without dinging the metal up
They all turned out great. Only one has slight pitting that should buff out. I'm glad because I wasn't going to trust damaged Magnesium wheels.
They'll will clean up nicely. I'll polish the lip a little then rub some penetrating oil to clean/care for them.
A good write up on these wheels are here:
http://zhome.com/BRETotal/Wheels/Wheels.htm
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by greydog »

Just be careful Alex.
I have read about old magnesium wheels being brittle and failing.
Of course, these things sort of take on a life of their own on the internet so may be perfectly fine.
Just use caution if you plan to run these for other than show purposes.

Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

greydog wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:59 pm Just be careful Alex.
I have read about old magnesium wheels being brittle and failing.
Of course, these things sort of take on a life of their own on the internet so may be perfectly fine.
Just use caution if you plan to run these for other than show purposes.

Dan
Yeah I've read all the warnings and history with them, scary stuff. Some people won't touch them, others drag race with old sets. I'm very happy this set was very solid. I'll still be keeping my eye on them, I might be able to bring them by work and find some aircraft buddies to x-ray them.
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Didn't sleep well, night shift is fun. My buddy came over again and we got the windshield in! Only took about 45mins.
Trim corners need a little fiddling to be perfect, but it still looks great.
Thanks to Mike Young for parting with one of his NOS glass
Glad I put the side pieces on under. Little trimming still needed.
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

I have so much time when I don't sleep :lol: Looking good in the sun!
Base coat went on nicely
Getting a little better results with the clear, More pressure, less fluid.
Bits painted
The middle was a little rough, but the well sanded areas are turning out much better. Makes very hopeful for the outside of these pieces.
Weird parts will be covered with the seal. (whatever glue I used didn't come off well.)
Smooth
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Bigtaku »

Nice work! It's a race now who will finish first! You are ahead of me...
Michael Montez
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Bigtaku wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:02 pm Nice work! It's a race now who will finish first! You are ahead of me...
:mrgreen: Completely different ballgame. I just wanted to fix up my car a bit, I'd love to have a second roadster to do what you're doing!
I can't wait to see yours finished,that paint and body work will certainly be popular at shows. Swaps are a blast to enjoy and so nice to drive. It'll be fun to see how yours handles the power with the wider wheels.

I'll be painting the rest tomorrow and assembling Tues. But I won't ever be done! :lol: quite a few thing I need to redo one day, and a little more I'm saving up for (Bumpers and chrome) But it's much nicer than when I started and I've learned heaps. It's not bad for my first paint job it'll be a great "driver" New interior should be here soon, I'll be doing weatherstripping until then.
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Finished painting yesterday. Again everything is great except for the clear. this time got some Chunks forming in the spray gun before I was finished. But should still be acceptable after a polish. It's going to need some touch ups from chipping the door installing.
Got the doors on today, Hood I need a hand to install tomorrow. Very happy seeing it together again.
Ready for some fuel tomorrow. Tank is back in and connected.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Moving right along, you have lots to be proud of, it's looking great!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

notoptoy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:20 pm Moving right along, you have lots to be proud of, it's looking great!
Very much so, Thanks. It's hard for me to remember I'm still learning a lot. Everything came out pretty solid for a garage restoration! :mrgreen:
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Slow your roll a bit ACote! I thought you were gonna cut and buff the paint after the clear went on a bit hazy? 1) I would avoid putting any items (trim, lights etc) on the car until you are completely done cutting and buffing. Not only will you get compound etc all over everything, you won't be able to get nice clean and complete passes with the buffer pads if you're trying to avoid contact with trim; 2) make sure you talk to the paint supplier or manufacturer about WHEN of cut and buff that particular paint. In the old days you would wait for the paint to harden and off gas etc, like a week or 2 before you would cut it... that's what I did on my last paint job as I and done on all the others. But then, I struggled to get the sanding scratches out of the (black) paint to the point that I seriously thought I might have to respray the whole car (through perseverance I found a compound that would work with a lot of extra work, like half a day to do a door). Turns out this newer paint hit hard much faster, and was to but cut and buffed 24-48 hrs later, definitely not 1 to 2 weeks. You have done a great job and put in lots of work... check on this step to make sure you're not shorting yourself or causing problems that are hard to solve!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA