Smog Distributor

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Rutty
Roadster Fanatic

Smog Distributor

Post by Rutty »

Hi everyone,

I have a '69 2000 with a stock smog distributor. Just wondering if it's worth the effort/expense to re-curve it. What benefit will I see if I do this? Anyone have personal experience with this?
If I remember correctly it's currently timed to 0 deg. It seems a bit sluggish coming off the start.

Thanks,
Matt
'68 1600 (L20b)
'69 2000
Minnesota
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Smog Distributor

Post by jrusso07 »

It's well worth it, IMO. I recurved my 70 and my 69 (U20s). It allows you to advance the timing to 16 degrees BTDC. Much better throtte response and smoother idle.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

Take the plunge and get an EI dizzy from East Coast Roadsters. Install, gap the plugs correctly for the EI unit, set the timing and forget. No more points to set and worry about fouling.
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Post by jrusso07 »

I have the East Coast E-dizzy on my 70. (Thanks Dave!). Works great but other than the points/condenser maintenace, the recurved cars run just as well. I say this because I had one of the recurved dizzys in the 70 with the e-dizzy.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

FYI you should never run a “smog “ distributor if all the additional components are not there. The way system was designed, it retarded the timing to 0 and leaned the enigine, as a safety measure a thermo vacuum valve was installed on the water outlet. The function of this was to open the distributor to manifold vacuum when the engine would get too hot at idle which advanced the timing and engage the clutch fan to cool the engine down. After the cool down cycle it would revert to 0 degree timing until the engine needed to cool down again. All the cars of the late 60’s till the end of analog fuel and ignition systems would do this. The purposes being to make more complete combustion at higher temperatures and clean up the tailpipe emissions. Additionally they added a air “smog” pump that would inject fresh air into the exhaust manifold to keep the burn going for as long as possible. All this said it’s a very bad idea to run your car with a emissions distributor without the number one safety device that keeps your engine from burning up or detonating, the thermo vacuum valve. Engine run best with advanced distributors with limited advance at full throttle, depending on fuel octane, compression and type of cam used.
Rutty
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Rutty »

Thanks guys for your responses.
I'll have to decide if I want to get an EI dizzy ($$$) or just go with a re-curved one with points and condenser ($$). It sounds like either one would be worth the money spent.
David, the smog pump and the vacuum lines are still on the car. However, the top nipple is broken off of the vacuum valve. I think the line that should be going to the top nipple is tee'd into the line going to the middle nipple. When I get the re-curved distributor should I leave the smog pump and vacuum lines where they are or remove them?

Thanks,
Matt
'68 1600 (L20b)
'69 2000
Minnesota
david premo
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by david premo »

Matt, once the distributor is recurved you do not need anything else. The additional components are part of the emission system with the smog distributor.
Dave
Rutty
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Rutty »

Good to know about the emissions equipment.

Thanks,
Matt
'68 1600 (L20b)
'69 2000
Minnesota
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

Free to make your won choice of course, but here is my .02 cents. (or is that 2 cents, adjusted for inflation)
Yes, springing for an EI dizzy was some bucks, but someone (forget who, but with huge background and technical knowledge like Dave) pointed out that the slop in the dizzy bearings cause the point gap to vary an awful lot.
Installing an EI dizzy removes this altogether, as it is now optical, and you then gap the points to a larger gap.
In terms of my own car, it "removed 50% of all the carb problems", which it turned out stemmed from all smog parts removed, non-curved dizzy that was quite sloppy.
This is a one-time, "set it and forget it" fix, much like braided metal clutch hoses, once you do them you WILL never have to return there.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
bossbob
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by bossbob »

david premo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:09 pm FYI you should never run a “smog “ distributor if all the additional components are not there. The way system was designed, it retarded the timing to 0 and leaned the enigine, as a safety measure a thermo vacuum valve was installed on the water outlet. The function of this was to open the distributor to manifold vacuum when the engine would get too hot at idle which advanced the timing and engage the clutch fan to cool the engine down. After the cool down cycle it would revert to 0 degree timing until the engine needed to cool down again. All the cars of the late 60’s till the end of analog fuel and ignition systems would do this. The purposes being to make more complete combustion at higher temperatures and clean up the tailpipe emissions. Additionally they added a air “smog” pump that would inject fresh air into the exhaust manifold to keep the burn going for as long as possible. All this said it’s a very bad idea to run your car with a emissions distributor without the number one safety device that keeps your engine from burning up or detonating, the thermo vacuum valve. Engine run best with advanced distributors with limited advance at full throttle, depending on fuel octane, compression and type of cam used.

So, can this be why my engine is getting hot at idle. A while back I set the timing to stock, if I recall 16* btdc previously it set way high, like maybe 34*.
The car is a smog car with all components gone, can't tell you if the distributor was ever addressed. 1st time I was able to drive it, it just didn't feel like it all there. Set the timing to 16* and no power at all but seems to idle better. Keep in mind, the farthest I've driven it, is around the block.

When I start it just to keep everything turning the temp gets to the top of the gauge but doesn't boil over. The gauge used to hang around the middle.

Thanks,
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Do yourself and the engine a favor and remove all the smog stuff and either recurve the dizzy or get the EI. One thing not mentioned is that you get a better spark from the EI than you do stock. I experienced this first hand when Bill B and I were developing the first ones (*) as I was doing the old "hey, let's pull the coil wire and see what the spark looks like and how far the spark will arc" trick. Did Bills 67 1600 with the stock system first, observing the spark and pulling the wire away from the cap til it stopped arcing. Then when I did the EI, not only was the spark much stronger and could pull much further away from the cap, it shocked me so bad I could not let go of it until Bill turned off the ignition, laughing at me of course (stupid is as stupid does, and yes it made my bones ache!), and the was with the stock coil. The car simply runs better in my opinion, and though I have no objective data I bet it gets better milage and has fewer emissions. I believe the EI dizzy is one of the best upgrades you can do.
* The very first one I saw must be credited to a guy, name unknown and from the Napa Valley, who attended Shasta #3, who had converted a stock Nissan to his Roadster. I took the idea back to Bill, and we made the first one that would eventually be marketed by others (Les as I recall).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
68DSU

Post by 68DSU »

I think I may want to put an E-dizzy on my wish list but I have a quick question.
One reason I like my roadster is that I have been able to throw in a set of points on the side of I-80 in Berkeley and gap them with the tab of the box they came in. Is an E-dizzy that forgiving and easy to work on?
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
theunz

Post by theunz »

while the electronic distributor is undoubtedly a better performing ignition, i`m a little like Rick. I have been left stranded by an electronic, but never by a points type distributor!
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Just carry a spare module.
I had a spring break and had to disassemble to replace. Read up on the procedure first.
The benefits far outweigh the risk of failure.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27856&hilit=Broken+ ... 15#p252434
Tom was very helpful in providing tech support, as well as a spring.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Never had mine fail in all the years I ran mine.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA