What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by Lorna c »

Going to try to make these stop sticking . My steering has been mushy and hard , I think It's from my brakes so I've pulled one off and they're all gross so I'm cleaning them up and reinstalling . Hopefully. haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
rahjr60
Roadster Fanatic

Post by rahjr60 »

Pulled the engine out of the race car so we can start figuring out what's inside and why she won't make power in higher gears. I printed out the Wiki and went through the checklist line by line. A few differences with a racer, but took about 5-6 hours (Sat/Sun) of actual work time, completely by myself. The Wiki is a beautiful thing! Seems like I spent almost as much time determining the right size wrench/socket as actually turning them. Hopefully I can get it back together quicker. Still a satisfying couple days work.
Al

67.5 SPL F/Prod Race Car #23
67.5 SRL(00246) F/Prod Race car #00
69 SRL Driver
69 SRL Project
65 Ford Falcon Sedan Delivery Deluxe Project
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:30 pm Going to try to make these stop sticking . My steering has been mushy and hard , I think It's from my brakes so I've pulled one off and they're all gross so I'm cleaning them up and reinstalling . Hopefully. haha

Lorna, I found moisture, water, not brake fluid under the boots, one of which you have pried up. I posted a few months ago advising about prying them up and spraying WD-40 in there to get the water out and prevent rusting. That is easily done with tire removal only.

Good luck, post back.

Colin
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Lorna:
IMPORTANT! IT looks like you have the plastic factory coating on your front brake lines at the calipers - you need to remove that!! It holds in water and causes the lines to rust making them susceptible to instant failure, and usually at the exact worst time. This is very important for your safety and does not cost a penny!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
ACote
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by ACote »

Got the new radio and speakers wired up! Still a lot to do to get it looking clean but it works! Put a small amp in and it is loud! Can't wait to drive with some tunes.
Power antenna mounted
(yes I know orange peely, the fenders got the worst of it.)
I'll take some more pics once everything is mounted up inside.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:18 pm
Lorna c wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:30 pm Going to try to make these stop sticking . My steering has been mushy and hard , I think It's from my brakes so I've pulled one off and they're all gross so I'm cleaning them up and reinstalling . Hopefully. haha

Lorna, I found moisture, water, not brake fluid under the boots, one of which you have pried up. I posted a few months ago advising about prying them up and spraying WD-40 in there to get the water out and prevent rusting. That is easily done with tire removal only.

Good luck, post back.

Colin
Didn't pry up . . But I do have One half a brake (front driver outside one ) piston is still sticking out , not retracting back away keeping wheel stop from spin . So .......looks like I Almost got it all fixed But not 100% still . Not good news on the that I'm guessing. Going to pop the piston out (maybe ) with air gun compressor , or pressing brakes while lines are on, having the car pop it out . Again , maybe . Heard not all that easy to put back together . So I'm gathering more information b4 I do .. I may need to start a thread for this final action . . So to get advice from ya'll.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:33 pm Lorna:
IMPORTANT! IT looks like you have the plastic factory coating on your front brake lines at the calipers - you need to remove that!! It holds in water and causes the lines to rust making them susceptible to instant failure, and usually at the exact worst time. This is very important for your safety and does not cost a penny!
Ok . I will start a thread for this because idk what your talking about ..lol . But I have one half a brake failing still . Others are moving in and out but drivers outside piston is sticking out not allowing tire to spin . :-(

greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by greydog »

I was not happy with the damping of the gr2 shocks that came one the car so bought a new set of gas adjust shocks. While I had the front in the air, I checked the rotors and found 1 of them .012 out of true and the other .008 out. Both are about .395 thick so could turn and still be over the .320 min but I decided to buy the new rotor,pad,seal combo that's on Ebay.
Installed the new seals and rotors (very nice at less than .001 runout). Combo has Centric pads that I'll try. The old set was unbranded so who knows.
Hoses look to be in good shape, I already cleaned and repacked the wheel bearings. I've cleaned and adjusted the steering box. Bought some John Deere corn head grease. Waiting for a cheapo grease gun and I'll fill the steering box.
When we get a break in the rains, I'll be the brakes and see how it all work
Dans
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Lorna:
In your picture you clearly have the line with the black plastic outer coating - take a razor and cut it off, the metal line stays in place, it's just the coating you want to remove.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 pm Lorna:
In your picture you clearly have the line with the black plastic outer coating - take a razor and cut it off, the metal line stays in place, it's just the coating you want to remove.
Oh ok . Well thank you .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Well I pulled my brakes today . A picture is worth a thousand words , and I only need one ....... $h*t . Wow . I'd stick if I looked like this. :Tosser:
I might have been power washing under too much . . Ugh . Need to think now .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

That's what my gas tank looked like too .

nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

Lorna, Your calipers will likely need a rebuild. Just a cleaning will not be enough. The bores are pitted and need to be resleeved or they will leak again and gunk up your brakes. Just went thruough this on mine.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

notoptoy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 pm Lorna:

Removing the plastic covering is important but bleeding and pulling back the boot and injecting WD-40 under it annually to get the water out is way more important.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
spl311srl311
Roadster Newby
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by spl311srl311 »

ImageReady for Paint!
1967 Datsun 1600 (Frame off)
1967 Datsun 1600 (Donor)
1967 1/2 Datsun 1600 - (Daily Driver)
1967 1/2 Datsun 2000 - (Daily Driver)
1968 Datsun 2000 (Frame off)
1956 Ford Customline
2018 Jaguar F-Type
1960 Triumph TR3A
1968 Shelby GT500KR