Steering Wheel Restoration

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gornal
Roadster Nut

Steering Wheel Restoration

Post by Gornal »

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct thread but...

I have a gap in my steering wheel and not sure if anyone else has come across this before. I want to restore my original steering wheel and any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Photo of the issue below.

thanks in advance.
20190101_202332.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Re: Steering Wheel Restoration

Post by spl310 »

The plastic has shrunk. You can buy a steering wheel repair kit, which will basically have some sort of epoxy to repair the crack, then you will have to shape it, blend it and smooth it. Then painting usually. The repair will reduce the issue. If you are a stickler, find a wheel with less of an issue.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Check out Eastwood, they have steering restoration kits. The process is as Sid described, but with a kit and some instructions you should be able to get good results. I had the wheel on my 65 Impala restored and painted and it looks fantastic and has held up well over the last 12 years or so.
https://www.eastwood.com/master-steerin ... struc.html
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Gornal
Roadster Nut

Post by Gornal »

Awesome thanks. I will investigate the repair kits. My only concern with filling the gap is that it may end up looking a bit out of shape as there will be a slightly longer wheel on one side. I was hoping someone had encountered the same issue and managed to clamp and glue. Perhaps I will just buy another steering wheel.
keith0alan
Roadsteraholic

Post by keith0alan »

I have done the epoxy fill and paint thing. Glossy black Krylon works great. It dries nice and hard so you can polish it. I got great results.
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

Gornal wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:07 am Awesome thanks. I will investigate the repair kits. My only concern with filling the gap is that it may end up looking a bit out of shape as there will be a slightly longer wheel on one side. I was hoping someone had encountered the same issue and managed to clamp and glue. Perhaps I will just buy another steering wheel.
You could make another cut on the side that has pulled away more, then slide it over the spoke, then epoxy both areas. I did something similar and then had the wheel leather wrapped.
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
Gornal
Roadster Nut

Post by Gornal »

Ahhh, clearly a better thinker than I datsunrides, thanks. I will use this approach with the kit!