Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Solvang 2006

Post by datsun65 »

Hi Folks,

What a Datsun weekend! The Bay Area Caravan cruised down on Friday morning to Solavng starting at about 10AM. In the caravan was, Joe K in his Black 2000, Dan Z in his sora blue 1500, Will C. in his 2000, Pete in his SSS RL411 bluebird and protecting the fleet, was Ron C in his Red/White (w/Blue pinstripe) Nissan Armada.

The ride down was smooth and the weather wasn't too hot..At San Luis Obispo it got a bit chilly...But it was a fun, smooth ride down to Solvang. Unfortunately, a new roadster owner (Danny Q) couldn't meet up with us for the caravan due to mechanical issues and left a few hours later from the Bay Area to Solvang.

The usual Datsun pre-show(AKA, the Motel 6) was kinda of down for the count...The place was torn up for a remodeling and many of the rooms were closed down. So there were only about a dozen or so roadsters hanging at at the 6.

On friday night about 30 cars attended the gathering at the Mendenhall Auto Museum for a casual get together..WOW! The cars were incredible: Pat Patterson (and his brother) drove down from Oregon in his 65 1500 and had it parked next to Joe Roach's 1500. Nice! Dennis L even drove all the way from Nevada in his stroker roadster with the cool white w/blue striped paint scheme.

Then, there was the BLING-BLING!! Lou brought his newly finished 66 KA24de..WOW. Bright electric blue paint with a grey interior (with custom fairlady embroidery). To top ot off, Lou has an in-dash DVD player installed. Man....now I KNOW I gotta upgrade my AM radio..

On Saturday Morining the show started nice an early...There were approx 75 cars in the show. The 67 2000's were a sight to be seen. I think there were 9-10 cars which all of them were highly restored. The workmanship on these cars were amazing. Ron C & Bob K even brought their vintage SRL311 race cars.

In the 1600 grouping there were lots of familiar faces. Joaquin G brought his 67 1600 (with SUs, not solexes) and Ron (from Whiitier) showed up with his newly painted 1600 (Looking Great). In the custom cars, the quality of the swaps is just mind boggling! Ralph I. brought his very nice, newly swapped bright red KA24DE roadster (sweet job).

Alvin G, Matt J and Rob F drove from the bay area early Saturday morning (left at 4AM) and arrived just in time for the show. Michael S. (aka Spriso) even attended the festivities (Thanks again for the roadser advise!) There was even a small parts swap provided by Rod's Discount Datsun and the Griffen (SP?) bros..

At about 2 PM the cars were lined up for a downtown Solvang Photo shoot, and then it was time for a "self-guided" fun run through some backroads. The object of the run was to idenify/answer as many questions (as provided). Paul Gabriel's Son and Joe Roach won the Q/A contest (and got a small $$ pot of moola)..

At about 5:30 PM folks gathered in a nearby park for a Solvang BBQ dinner...NICE!! There must have been close to 150 people attending the evening meal. Jeff Torres MC'd the roadster raffle..BIG THANKS to everyone who donated prizes for the raffle! Awards were handed out during breaks in the raffle and the Previous year's winners (1st Place) presented the awards to the current year's winners.

After dinner folks said there long goodbyes and parted until next Year's Show...the 20th Annual Solvang Show!!! Many thanks to the Fresno DROC team for coordinating such a niceshow
Dan
Houston, TX
DC311

Re: Solvang 2006

Post by DC311 »

Sounded like a good time, Dan.

I heard there was an Alvin G impersonator in SoCal today:

But then again, why would anyone want to do that :P

Dennis
RoadsterYosh1

Post by RoadsterYosh1 »

Very nice report!
Previous commitments :( prevented me from going to this year's show.

and yes I do believe their was an Alvn showing in SoCal, around a bunch of other Fairladys :lol:
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

Post by impinhigh »

Great show Fdroc!! I know it's a lot of work and we all appreciate it.
Fantastic cars Datsun owners!!

I had to hit the road right after the group photo... how'd the voting pan out?
Matt Jacquet
Gilroy, Ca
68 Spl311 Stock-Silver
68 Spl311 Stock-White-Gone to a good home...
:(
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Finally some pictures! Thanks Alvin.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Dan great write up! It was pleasure to be the guardian of the Datsun fleet heading south on 101, and really a great sight, following a series of Datsun Roadsters (and a 411) south through central California...it brings a smile to my face.

I wish that I had more time to spend with the roadster folks, but with MSA the following morning and driving back to San Diego unload the roadster and load the Z for MSA limited my schedule. I had to head out right after the class photo for 06.

My favorite moment at Solvang (and there were several to pick from) was when Mac Tilton (of BRE, brock racing enterprises) dropped in unexpectedly and exclaimed to Bob Klemme (and all of us in a 30ft radius) that "We used to beat the crap out of that Scoville Roadster!" (Bob's roadster). At first nobody knew who he was, and then I think Bob looked at him and asked who he was, and well, the rest was history....there are only a few people who could make that claim...It was a classic moment.

MSA was a good time too, Alvin, would you put up a link to your video site when you have a min.

Thank!
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

A race car since new!

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Hey Alvin, it is an absolute assault on all your senses....

Thanks for the link to your videos! Well done.
A race car since new!

datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Here are a few photos that Pete wthe rl411 took of the solvang 2006 show.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/petep99/a ... EBAN0KlN.h
Dan
Houston, TX