What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by Lorna c »

nice . I've got one that could use a new connection clip too . good to know ..
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
raylim
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by raylim »

Got the 5 speed case cleaned and taking the housing and new parts to Skip to put together. Don’t tell the wife I had a little help from the dishwasher. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arcadia, ca
1967.5 -2000 ratrod - in progress
1970 1600 -restored
1969 2000 - SR20 -in progress
1967.5 2000 (clone) - restored
1963 Fairlady - in paint
1988 BMW M3
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

hahaha

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I decided last week to pull the engine and change out the final weakness... the old timing gears and chains. I have run some of these gears for 32 years and though they all were usable, they were not perfect. With the reasonable pricing and high quality out there, it was time. I was also hearing more noise from the engine that kinda sounded like a rod knock, but it was hard to tell. Yesterday I pulled the oil pan and noted some brass colored shavings in the block, sticking to the sides... looks like bearing material. I have not yet checked them but I suspect either a rod bearing or possibly the original jackshaft bearings as they have never been changed out (not much stress on them, but they have seen miles!). Regardless, I am glad that I listened to the engine and myself. Now that all the parts are what I want (right cam, piston/compression, head flow, ignition etc) I decided it was time to finalize the engine and hopefully never have to open her up again until I can no longer drive. I will have the trans evaluated as well as it is a bit notchy going into first from a dead stop sometimes. With the shavings in the motor, I will probably consider re-ringing the engine even though the compression was 215 on all 4... really good. I had hoped to just check things out, make sure the bearings were all good and not have to pull the pistons, but we will see.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Gregs672000 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:51 pm I decided last week to pull the engine and change out the final weakness... the old timing gears and chains. I have run some of these gears for 32 years and though they all were usable, they were not perfect. With the reasonable pricing and high quality out there, it was time. I was also hearing more noise from the engine that kinda sounded like a rod knock, but it was hard to tell. Yesterday I pulled the oil pan and noted some brass colored shavings in the block, sticking to the sides... looks like bearing material. I have not yet checked them but I suspect either a rod bearing or possibly the original jackshaft bearings as they have never been changed out (not much stress on them, but they have seen miles!). Regardless, I am glad that I listened to the engine and myself. Now that all the parts are what I want (right cam, piston/compression, head flow, ignition etc) I decided it was time to finalize the engine and hopefully never have to open her up again until I can no longer drive. I will have the trans evaluated as well as it is a bit notchy going into first from a dead stop sometimes. With the shavings in the motor, I will probably consider re-ringing the engine even though the compression was 215 on all 4... really good. I had hoped to just check things out, make sure the bearings were all good and not have to pull the pistons, but we will see.
you'll feel great when you've got it done finally .. does me anyway .. car will be happy too .

greydog

Post by greydog »

Any other symptoms Greg? Low oil pressure for instance?
I ask because I've noticed the oil pressure on my 2000 is very low at idle (yeah, it's the factory gauge so my not be very accurate).
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Drove it to work :)
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

oil gauges are typically low at idle across all models
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

greydog wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:49 am Any other symptoms Greg? Low oil pressure for instance?
I ask because I've noticed the oil pressure on my 2000 is very low at idle (yeah, it's the factory gauge so my not be very accurate).
Dan
No other noted problems, and there may not actually BE a problem... over the weekend I pulled the head (everything appeared great there, no cam wear problems etc), then pulled all 4 rod and 3 of the 5 mains as well as the jack shaft to find absolutely NO problems with the bearings. Normal wear, no issues at all. Where the heck did these little pieces of brass colored metal come from? I will post pictures when I get my Pad back (Stupid Samsung pad decides to turn itself off when ever it feels like it and not power up... take it to the repair guy and he pops it open and seconds later it works... doesn't charge me, good guy). They are small flecks, but one is about 1/2 inch long, brass colored and layered like what I would think would come from a bearing. Maybe the thrust is off and it scraped the side of something somehow (I would need to think about this more as it would need to be the crank weight spinning around and hitting something)? I was reluctant to pull the rear main as the rope seal was not leaking at all, but since I have decided to go ahead and do the bearings I will and maybe that will show something. Still, so far I do not see them as the source of my metal flakes (6-8 small pieces, one bigger as noted). Sudden thought... wrist pin bushing on the small end of the rod? I also checked my timing gears... they too appear to be in really good used shape with no undercutting etc. Nevertheless, I will likely do them too and maybe offer these up as good used parts for someone who is on a very tight budget.

BTW, don't believe the oil gauge, they are not accurate... you will hear it rattle if it is too low.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Shamus980
Site Supporter

Post by Shamus980 »

Hello everyone.. I’m having trouble downloading my pictures from the iPhone. But I began the restoration on the 311. It started with replacing the original distributor with a 1-2-3 dizzy with MSD coil and wires. The car ran better. Then alternator was determined to be weak when the battery failed to charge. I order a new passenger side GM alternator with the mounts from JT. A little polishing of the valve covers finally removed the black tar material and brightened up the whole engine bay. The twin mikuni’s were dropped off to Datsun spirit in Manassas VA for a refurb 2 weeks ago while I was there for a wedding. That should be done sometime this month. I took off the intake manifold for a good cleaning. I figured what the hell?? Don’t half ass it. Dean at datsunparts hooked me up with some new insulators. Today, I removed the hood to get to the radiator., which was subsequently removed without incident. Btw. Any recommendations on a aluminum radiator? I believe my looks very tired and in need of replacing. Thanks. Shamus.
Shamus980

1969 SRL Solex (Summer Driver)
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Many people have reported good success and satisfaction with the Champion radiators.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Shamus980
Site Supporter

Post by Shamus980 »

Thanks Notoptoy. I was looking at them. But couldn’t find any reviews. Btw. Anyone here have any suggestions on the fan?? I have a 7 blade fan. Should I switch to the 4 blade or the electric fan? I’ve heard the going with the electric will enhance the performance and lessen engine strain. Which makes sense. Any suggestions from anyone? And where can I find an electric fan kit? Would it be PITA mounting it? I’m having a bunch of fun working on this roadster. More than I could’ve imagine. And learning about the car. Thanks to all if you for your guidance and experience. This site has been very helpful and informative. Shamus
Shamus980

1969 SRL Solex (Summer Driver)
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Lots of opinions on electric fans, I think generally in favor of. Only questions typically are whether to push or pull the air. Seems push from the front would free up more space in engine compartment, but would likely have to be a smaller fan than a puller could be.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Suggest you keep the 7 blade (pretty noisy) or look for 4-blade..they look perfect, are quiet and nothing is more reliable. The AL radiator would be fine if it had the correct upper tank, but it looks very incorrect as is. I wonder why they don't make the tanks correctly?

Why not just recore the original radiator and have it look right? Almost any original radiator can be re-cored and dead ones are cheap. j
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
less frustrated
Site Supporter

Post by less frustrated »

I had mine re-cored and it resolved the high operating temp issue. At the time my concern was keeping the originality by not going aluminum although they were cheaper than a recore. That idea of keeping originality has gone by the wayside since my SRL now has EI and an electric fan thanks to the expertise of Mike Sacks at MAS Imports in Fleetwood PA. I bought the fan years ago and it was still in the box. I don't know about dead ones being cheap, radiators-not Mike, but those of you out there who are like me, have one stored away somewhere 'cause you can't bear to part ways with anything.