What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DCooke
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by DCooke »

I finally sorted out the cigar lighter issue on my 68 & why it was blowing a fuse every time I plugged in my USB adapter. Disassembled everything and found a short on the bottom of the lighter where the unit gets voltage. New wires, an insulated washer, a good cleaning & now it works without blowing fuses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Cooke
Cary, IL
1968 1600
1969 1600
2016 BRZ
Chicagoland chapter of the Dairyland Datsuns
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

That's a good place to use that plug in battery/alternator check gizmo that was mentioned here by Garth and others.Good that you cleaned it, very subject to oil underneath after the rubber deteriorates.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Trunk lid rattled. Dropped and hit me in the back of the head couple of times. So i removed the two spring rods and hooked one in the high tension slot, and one in the low tension slot. Now the trunk lid with the luggage rack STAYS up when i want it too.
The seal was trimmed in 3 pieces. Aft piece was way too far aft, missing the lip when in the closed position.
Removed it, cleaned the surfaces and reinstalled it. Boot clicks closed with two fingers now. No more rattle.
CB1AF7C2-F47B-4F32-85D7-7E43655A285B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

1967.5 SRL311-00565 went in for Body and Paint. The car was originally Thunder Black with a Red interior. Sometime along its history (Probably the 80's) the car was painted red with a heavy gold flake. To go along with the glitter, it also had a 'night rider' light jammed into the hood scoop!

Bringing the car back to black.

This is the part of the project that stresses me out the most! I previously had the car in a different bodyshop (Maybe 7 years ago?) for more than a year and Nothing/Zero/Nada was done. The poor car ended up being a dumping table for random spoilers, cardboard boxes and oodles of bodyshop dust. Finally pulled the car out of the previous shop and never even received a 'Sorry' from the shop for the complete lack of follow-thru.

I've used all kinds of bodyshops and it always feels like a crap-shoot. Crossing my fingers the second time is the charm.
Dan
Houston, TX
greydog

Post by greydog »

Replaced timing chain and sprockets on the 1600.
Old sprockets were worn to sharp points chain so stretched it was hitting timing cover at idle.
All fixed now. Idles quieter too.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
RBMann
Roadsteraholic

Post by RBMann »

pebbles wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:10 pm Trunk lid rattled. Dropped and hit me in the back of the head couple of times. So i removed the two spring rods and hooked one in the high tension slot, and one in the low tension slot. Now the trunk lid with the luggage rack STAYS up when i want it too.
The seal was trimmed in 3 pieces. Aft piece was way too far aft, missing the lip when in the closed position.
Removed it, cleaned the surfaces and reinstalled it. Boot clicks closed with two fingers now. No more rattle.
CB1AF7C2-F47B-4F32-85D7-7E43655A285B.jpeg
Now that you have rack and car, not to mention more time, you can travel with Ted. :D
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

datsun65 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:55 pm 1967.5 SRL311-00565 went in for Body and Paint. The car was originally Thunder Black with a Red interior. Sometime along its history (Probably the 80's) the car was painted red with a heavy gold flake. To go along with the glitter, it also had a 'night rider' light jammed into the hood scoop!

Bringing the car back to black.

This is the part of the project that stresses me out the most! I previously had the car in a different bodyshop (Maybe 7 years ago?) for more than a year and Nothing/Zero/Nada was done. The poor car ended up being a dumping table for random spoilers, cardboard boxes and oodles of bodyshop dust. Finally pulled the car out of the previous shop and never even received a 'Sorry' from the shop for the complete lack of follow-thru.

I've used all kinds of bodyshops and it always feels like a crap-shoot. Crossing my fingers the second time is the charm.
haha really , a night rider light !! hahahaa :lol:
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

RBMann wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:05 am Now that you have rack and car, not to mention more time, you can travel with Ted. :D
Umm, no.
2678645F-14C0-43D0-84D9-AB7EA0308C07.jpeg
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Fetch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Fetch »

Been cleaning parts, painting parts, sorting parts. Started putting the engine back together, installed crank, pistons and cam. Head is ready just waiting for a new rocker assembly. Trans is ready to go back in. Testing electrical parts, so far, so good.
Dan
Spokane, Wa.
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

Sounds like progress is being made. Looking forward to a road trip to see your car. Pat
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Removed the passenger seat and adjusted the back angle. Vacuumed the carpet really good. Tightened a twistie. Added a nut and lockwasher to the rear deck teardrop. Media blasted and painted 2 jackhole plugs.
David

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

bled and bled and bled . reset reset and reset . . and still not done right . found another leAk in the bottom of the master . played on the breaks adjust , still not enough . sooooo today and yesterday meant nothing as far as progress .. so , I did nothing to /for my baby :-(
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

DirtyLady. Interior was filthy and there was gravel everywhere in the chassis from the "rallye". Spent a minute cleaning her up!

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Media blasted and brush primed a lower pass door hinge. Will paint tomorrow, and try to take the old one off soon.
C81F6F02-966C-480F-8450-D45199A2AA88.jpeg
David

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I got tired of the ratty connectors to the tail lights, so I bought a '70 pair from Datsundon. They have the plastic connector attached to the wires. My old sockets were hard to clean and the ground wire kept breaking.
I have a bunch of different size connectors I got last year so I converted the shell to the ones I have with a clasp to lock the 2 halves. Just have to add the terminals, push into the other connector and be done
15409547261051.jpg

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.